• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

hood bracket

jujuka

Reaction score
All my other builds have been shaker hoods but this one I went with a rally hood and I can't figure out what these things do. I have looked at a lot of hoods trying to figure it out but all I see is the bracket.

Clearly there is reason for these?

thanks in advance!

hood bracket.jpg

Rich Followell

Reaction score
All my other builds have been shaker hoods but this one I went with a rally hood and I can't figure out what these things do. I have looked at a lot of hoods trying to figure it out but all I see is the bracket.

Clearly there is reason for these?

thanks in advance!

View attachment 73052
My oem 70 rally hood does not have them. but my AMD replacement does have it. likely a later production add on related to safety. Early production hoods did not have fold points stamped into them later production added these. My guess these were then added after that. but that is just a guess.

jujuka

Reaction score
I was thinking rubber bumpers too but they are way off for that
Thx guys

70chall440

Reaction score
Actually, now that I think about it, I would like to change my answer.. I think they are for the under hood insulation.

jujuka

Reaction score
I had another guy tell me they were for the hood pins. But I've put hood pins in my other builds and never had these on the shaker hoods.
The only other thing I can come up with was they were a packaging brace that held the hood in the crate or box?
It's a mystery

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
They are reinforcement plates for 1972-1974 Challengers/Cuda but also 1971 B-Body and 1972-74 A & Bodies.
1972-1974 E-Body Hood Bumper Reinforcement Plate. Sold Each.
CORRECTION: The factory rubber adjustment bumper IS directly under this plate on the above models (`72-`74).
This plate should not be on earlier hoods since the bumper would not land upon it when closing the hood. Hoods get changed over the decades or new repro hoods are installed so a mismatch occurs between the hood style and the fender style.

Challenger Hood Reinforcement Plate_Unknown purpose.jpg

Last edited:

jujuka

Reaction score
Ok well that solves this mopar mystery. Thank you MCG!
Pretty cool info.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
They are reinforcement plates for 1972-1974 Challengers/Cuda but also 1971 B-Body and 1972-74 A & Bodies.
1972-1974 E-Body Hood Bumper Reinforcement Plate. Sold Each.
CORRECTION: The factory rubber adjustment bumper IS directly under this plate on the above models (`72-`74).
This plate should not be on earlier hoods since the bumper would not land upon it when closing the hood. Hoods get changed over the decades or new repro hoods are installed so a mismatch occurs between the hood style and the fender style.
Corrected text on graphic.
72-74 Challenger Hood Reinforcement Plate for Adjustment Bumper.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
MoparCarGuy
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey and thank you for clearing up the extra hood bracket mystery. (did not know what they were for)
You should go to the Welcome Wagon section and introduce yourself.
What kind of Mopar do you have?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
MoparCarGuy
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey and thank you for clearing up the extra hood bracket mystery. (did not know what they were for)
You should go to the Welcome Wagon section and introduce yourself.
What kind of Mopar do you have?
I am a long-time member of E-Bodies.org and Moparts.com.
I have a 1970 Cuda 340 which I bought in 1984. The original 340 is stashed away and a Mopar Performance 440 stroker engine has been in the car since 2000.

cuda1.jpg

Back