• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How do I remove the Challenger script from a 1970 dash?

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
I purchased a clean, uncracked, original, 3-speaker '70 dash for my Challenger. The dash is black and I want to paint (dye) it B5 blue. To do this I need to remove the Challenger emblem. It seems as though these are attached through the dash with pins and clips. The problem is the clips are not exposed from the inside of the dash.

Anyone know how to remove this emblem?

IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Grab it with tweezers or smooth needle nose pliers (be careful not to scratch it or squeeze too hard.) You may need to have a pair in each hand to manipulate the emblem straight up and away from the pad. I can't remember exactly where the pins are located I think one might be at the top of the "c." Good spots to grab are at the top of the "h" and bottom of the "g." Once you get it lifted up a bit, try getting 2 thin, flat, plastic trim tools under the emblem and use equal upward force on it. The key is to lift it straight off and not to put too much pressure on one end or the other. Slow and steady... I'm looking through my restoration photos no to see if I can get you the pin locations. Stand by...

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Grady, thanks for your response. What holds the emblem pins in place? Are there clips embedded behind the vinyl and in the dash foam or through the steel core? Do the clips remain in place and when pushing the emblem back into place, you must hit them with the pins? How many pins on the emblem?

Sorry for so many questions, I want to do this right. My original dash has an emblem (under the cover) that still has a chrome finish and I'll be using that when I put the emblem on the painted dash.

IMG_0268.JPG

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Jim? The emblem is just pressed-fit into the dash pad - no clips or anything, just real snug. I think only 2 pins on the emblem - I'm still looking through my pics to see if I have any more details for you...

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Grady,
Thank you for your advice. The emblem did indeed pull/pry out. I couldn't grip it with needle nose pliers, so I gently pried it with two small screwdrivers. There are 5 pins on the emblem retaining it to the dash.

See pics. Thanks again, Jim

IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info. When I got my dash pad back from Instrument Specialties, there were no holes and I think my emblem may have been missing some pins. I'm glad you are starting right away on the dash project! I'll be anxious to see it when you are finished and I'm glad I could provide the dash for you! Thanks again - Mark

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Mark, I was totally clueless that I was discussing this with you! Should have figured it out with the "Jim?". I will send you pics of the progress.
Jim

Back