• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How much clearance is needed to accommodate fan flex?

SpeedD408

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm upgrading my radiator to the Cold-Case MOP754A. They were very helpful in asking questions to make sure I got the right unit. With that said the Cold-Case radiator sits flat/even with the mounting brackets and the stock 26" has its brackets off-set so that the radiator sits forward towards the nose of the car. This meant that I thought the fan would be very close and potentially hit the radiator with the Haydon 2747 HD fan clutch. Therefore, I purchased the shorter Hayden 2947 as it is also a HD fan clutch but about 1/2" shorter. Perfect for fan to radiator clearance. What I didn't think about was that I have factory A/C on my '71 Cuda 383 and now because the shaft on the fan clutch is shorter I only have about 9/32" (just over a 1/4") gap between the 7-blade fan tip and most forward bumps on the A/C compressor (see picture).

Thus the question:

How much space is needed to accommodate fan flex?

If 9/32" is too small, I could probably make an 1/16" or 1/8" spacer. I'm kind of hoping it is fine as the fan is attached to the engine and so is the A/C compressor so those two items should stay in their relative positions to each other as they have the same fixed points (unlike fan to radiator clearance). Therefore, I think I only need to be concerned with how much the fan itself will flex and if this is enough clearance to accommodate that flex.

If this should have been in the Heating/Cooling section please move it there, but I thought this has more to do with the engine bay and clearence then actual cooling.

20210425_090709[1].jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I believe you will be ok , the blades under load will flex away from the AC compressor , & they will move together as the engine moves

Back