• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How rare is a cuda with factory air?

Cudachuck

Reaction score
Is there a way to see how many cudas by year were made with certain options? Like ac

Culvers

Reaction score
According to G. Govier they made 2072 Cuda hardtops and 116 convertibles with a/c in 1970.
According to Ola Nilsson they made 1061 Cudas with a/c in 1971.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
I couldn’t find any information for 1973 models. However, about 1/3 of the Barracudas built in ‘72 were equipped with it.

Attachments

• 291D3446-3CD3-4AEA-AFCF-99A51B6A4B18.jpeg
    291D3446-3CD3-4AEA-AFCF-99A51B6A4B18.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 138

70chall440

Reaction score
Is there a way to see how many cudas by year were made with certain options? Like ac

This is the question that the entire hobby wants to know (to one degree or another), many people are attempting to make money trying to answer, and yet others are attempting to profit by insinuating a specific car is "1 of X" due to whatever is on the car.

The truth is that outside of the model, engine and transmission the rest is for the most part a guessing game. Glovier and guys like him have built a career on seemingly have the "secret" numbers and thus like to say this or that however it is known that Mopar did not keep those records and if they did they were destroyed/lost.

Its a "catch 22", they cannot prove anything because if they actually had real evidence and provided it their business would suffer eventually once the numbers were known. Subsequently you cannot prove they are wrong either so we end up with paying dudes like that to write a letter saying one thing or another. On that note you will see that in his letters he typically includes the phrase "known to exit" or "currently in the registry".

The vast amount of this numbers game is achieved through extrapolation meaning that if a 70 Cuda represents 3% of the total production (making this number up) and there is evidence that Plymouth installed 100,000 AC units in 1970, then it is reasonable to assume that 3000 Cudas got it. No idea if this is real or accurate but it is the number that then becomes "fact".

The problem comes in when attempting to identify a "1 of X" number which requires that everything about that car has to be extrapolated (seats, interior color, seat material/design, stereo package, etc.. all options) and then all of it in total has to be weighed against the cars known to exist. In other words, it is generally not just one item or option that makes the rarity of the car, it is everything in total. So you could have one of the 2000 Cudas with air but if you had the deluxe stereo, pumpkin interior, rear defroster, deluxe wheel, etc. then the 2000 number gets much smaller much quicker.

This issue is one of the reasons so many people get all up in arms over getting a fender tag made, because the majority of the options are bolt on and exceptionally hard to prove originality thus those with broadcast sheets and fender tags are worried that the value of their car will be diminished by someone "making" a car that wasn't born that way.

Sorry for the rant... kind of one of my pet peeves, I believe that people have somewhat ruined the hobby with the obsession over originality and the near homicidal anger that comes out any time this issue comes up.

moparleo

Reaction score
A lot of the E-bodies had a/c because of the lack of vent windows. Very hot inside the car with no ventilation. And the a/c systems of the day were not very efficient compared to modern systems.
The real "heyday" of the 1 of ??? were the 70-71 model years. After that just for curiosity since there were no real HP options in those years that having extra options makes any difference in value.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
Supposedly, most of the records for the Mopar muscle era were lost in a warehouse “fire” according to the fine folks at Chrysler Historical. They told me this 20 years ago & they’re sticking to the story. If the records were still in existence, I’m sure Govier would have paid big bucks for them decades ago. So, you have to rely on things like “Advance Information” from Chrysler.

93B5BEFB-9117-4ED3-805B-F6ED23A161C8.jpeg

fasjac

Reaction score
FWIW, when I bought my 73 cuda in 1986, it was an a/c car. Dash controls, vents in dash, evap box etc, we’re all original parts. The strange thing to me was, where the opening in the firewall for the lines looked like someone toot an air chisel to make the openings. Same with the blower motor. And the condenser lines same. ?? The fender tag indicates, it was an a/c car. 340 with 3 speed manual transmission. Many years ago at restoration, I replaced firewall, dash , header box etc. back to a non a/c car. It really looked like a dealership did the a/c or something went wrong on assembly line. Maybe someone has seen this. Don’t know. Sorry for being long winded.

70chall440

Reaction score
FWIW, when I bought my 73 cuda in 1986, it was an a/c car. Dash controls, vents in dash, evap box etc, we’re all original parts. The strange thing to me was, where the opening in the firewall for the lines looked like someone toot an air chisel to make the openings. Same with the blower motor. And the condenser lines same. ?? The fender tag indicates, it was an a/c car. 340 with 3 speed manual transmission. Many years ago at restoration, I replaced firewall, dash , header box etc. back to a non a/c car. It really looked like a dealership did the a/c or something went wrong on assembly line. Maybe someone has seen this. Don’t know. Sorry for being long winded.

Over the years I have seen some butchery on some of these cars that was obviously done at the factory. Since it was on the fender tag it was planned and typically the holes were made by a machine, however in your case perhaps it got down the line with the wrong firewall and someone had to "react".

fasjac

Reaction score
Over the years I have seen some butchery on some of these cars that was obviously done at the factory. Since it was on the fender tag it was planned and typically the holes were made by a machine, however in your case perhaps it got down the line with the wrong firewall and someone had to "react".
Definitely what I thought. Thanks

1972CudaV21

Reaction score

The Golden Years in Detroit also had it’s share of liquid lunches...🍺 Working on an assembly line wasn’t the greatest job. When I worked near the sub base in Groton, Connecticut during the early 90’s, you’d be amazed at how much beer was consumed during a 30-minute lunch break at the bars across the street from General Dynamics Electric Boat. It was a sight to see. Many guys would go back in the subs under construction and sleep it off until their shift concluded. Hopefully things have changed🤔

Last edited:

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I've not been into mopars or cars for that matter near as long as most of you here. Since I started my interest in mopars in about 94-95 I've been fascinated with fender tags and options. Not once have I seen or recorded identical cars. Every single cars is a 1 or 1. There will be something different about every single car. At least that's what I have seen.

Is anyone out there able to remember fleet orders where there were 2 cars ordered exactly the same. Zero difference's with exception of vin number and sequence number.

Even less possible, anyone have a picture of two fender tags that match? And then does the build sheet match?

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
I've not been into mopars or cars for that matter near as long as most of you here. Since I started my interest in mopars in about 94-95 I've been fascinated with fender tags and options. Not once have I seen or recorded identical cars. Every single cars is a 1 or 1. There will be something different about every single car. At least that's what I have seen.

Is anyone out there able to remember fleet orders where there were 2 cars ordered exactly the same. Zero difference's with exception of vin number and sequence number.

Even less possible, anyone have a picture of two fender tags that match? And then does the build sheet match?

One example: 3 identical 1971 Barracuda Converts were built for parade use by The Shriners. See: Amazing Shriners Survivor: 1971 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Super cool that there are actually three that are claimed to be identical.
Sure would like to see those three fender tags.
Then were they ordered with the same interiors as well. Same features? Did one of them have cruise control?
Sweet looking car!

Back