• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How should I run my neutral safety wires?

ProSport

Reaction score
70 Challenger, Tremec 5 speed. Exactly how and where should I run my neutral safety switch wires? The neutral safety switch is on the Tremec transmission. Thanks.

Adam

Reaction score
The Tremec neutral safety switch is internal, but there is a two wire pig-tail (Unlike the Mopar 3 wire which also includes the reverse light pin) One wire goes to ground, the other to the starter relay circuit. It needs to be in neutral to start... so you have some options. If you have the factory style, clutch pedal mounted switch you can tie it into that wire (which would be redundant); or you can run it directly to the relay (I don’t remember which terminal, but easy to look up); or you can run it to a hidden kill switch, then to the relay, so the the car will have to be in neutral and the switch in the correct position, to crank.

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC_TKO_Installation.Tips.pdf

Last edited:

ProSport

Reaction score
Thanks, I tried several different ways tonight, the only one that worked correctly was to put the neutral safety switch in the loop of the small starter 'start' wire from the starter relay.
So the wire starts at the starter relay, goes to one side of the neutral safety pigtail on the trans, the other side of the pigtail goes to the starter. I drove the car twice tonight, everything works great and it only starts in neutral with the clutch pushed in.

Back