• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How to get my 73 home

Poolshark314

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just bought a 73 and it is on the other side of the country (2400 miles). I am toying with the idea of flying there and driving back to make a fun trip out of it, but am worried about reliability problems since I have never driven the car. So I think my only options right now are:

• Get the car shipped by a third party shipper
  • Fly there, rent a truck and flat bed trailer to trailer it home, and enjoy the roadtrip
Any thoughts or personal experiences? Recommendations on shipping companies if you went that route? Thanks in advance

Tactical185

Reaction score
Depends on the condition of the veh. if its road worthy, drive it home and have fun with it, document the trip, could be fun. my 2nd choice would be to have it shipped. either way, good luck and post pics of the veh.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Shipping it would probably be the easiest

Poolshark314

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It's so tempting to want to just try to drive it back because that's the spirit of these cars, just cruising down the highway. As far as I know, it is in complete operating condition but the seller never drives it far, so a bit of an unknown to go cross country. Anybody have any experience shipping a car?

moparleo

Reaction score
Its been a few years but I shipped a truck from California to Carolina and it was under a grand. Remember that if you drive it it will be uninsured and if you do break down it might be a problem to find parts or someone to fix it. Also gas etc... Safer to ship it.

Poolshark314

Reaction score
Its been a few years but I shipped a truck from California to Carolina and it was under a grand. Remember that if you drive it it will be uninsured and if you do break down it might be a problem to find parts or someone to fix it. Also gas etc... Safer to ship it.

Thanks for the advice moparleo. Do you happen to remember the company you used? Most companies I am seeing over $1500

Big AL

Reaction score
I think you should do what is most reliable and cost efficient... Have it shipped or rent a Truck and Flatbed Trailer if cheaper and you'll have the satisfaction of driving your new baby home..

budascuda

Reaction score
At this point I want to be the only person handling my mopar.
I had my 73 challenger towed to Vancouver from the Okanagan and the driver deliberately hooked it up in a way so it would cause damage, and then played stupid! I still gasp every time i think of his badness.
On the other end of the spectrum I towed my 1961
tt bird from Toronto to Vancouver (about 4000km) and it was a great experience, I loved it . I met so many great people, learned so much about Canada and took care of my car like no one ever could.
at any rate, I wouldn't drive it back, If you have the time, you might want to consider getting a u-haul trailer or a flat deck and tow the car yourself.

Last edited:

Poolshark314

Reaction score
At this point I want to be the only person handling my mopar.
I had my 73 challenger towed to Vancouver from the Okanagen and the driver deliberately hooked it up in a way so it would cause damage, and then played stupid! I still gasp every time i think of his badness.
On the other end of the spectrum I towed my 1961
tt bird from Toronto to Vancouver (about 4000km) and it was a great experience, I loved it . I met so many great people, learned so much about Canada and took care of my car like no one ever could.
at any rate, I wouldn't drive it back, If you have the time, you might want to consider getting a u-haul trailer or a flat deck and tow the car yourself.

Thanks. I have been looking into the towing option myself but it seems to cost more than just having it shipped. I'd be going from Idaho to Maryland

budascuda

Reaction score
Thanks. I have been looking into the towing option myself but it seems to cost more than just having it shipped. I'd be going from Idaho to Maryland

I understand, at the end of course its your choice.
I wish you good luck with the shipping......

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
My insurance insures any car I purchase until I can get it registered.
3 days without notifying state farm. Then I can just have it insured if I give them the info before I can get it registered.
I would drive the car. If it breaks down there are uhaul companies just about in every town. Rent a truck and a trailer and tow it home.
If you have a friend or a wife, drive there with a truck and have a chase vehicle.
An auto transport is about 150 a day or less if you get it 5 days. So that still works out to less than having it shipped for 2K. Lots of options.

DRIVE IT !!

budascuda

Reaction score
Good companies screw up too!
I have seen that enough times.
No body cares for my property the way I care for my property, thats undeniable.

fasjac

Reaction score
2400 miles is quite a hike. I would personally have it shipped to your location. Too much hassle if it breaks down. JMO

Poolshark314

Reaction score
Mini Update: Having trouble even finding a trailer the car would fit on. Uhaul's trailer is 5' x 9', and I believe the wheelbase of a Cuda is 108" (9 ft), so it would be teetering on the edge...Budget and Hertz claim the weight capacity on their trailers is a little over 4000 lbs. So it's looking more and more like just going to ship it

fasjac

Reaction score
I would still have the car shipped. Takes out a lot of the stress not to mention, fuel expense, meals, rooms etc. (crazy things going on all over the place) Time.
Good luck with getting her home. Can't wait to see it.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I've hauled many a cuda on a uhaul trailer. Doesn't hang over and pulls just fine. They claim don't go over 55 MPH but I've pulled em at 90 across the states with no issues at all.
Trailer size isn't a good enough reason to talk yourself out of a pull. They work great!

20200208_145954.jpg

20180129_095417.jpg

20200809_140106.jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
I've hauled many a cuda on a uhaul trailer. Doesn't hang over and pulls just fine. They claim don't go over 55 MPH but I've pulled em at 90 across the states with no issues at all.
Trailer size isn't a good enough reason to talk yourself out of a pull. They work great!

View attachment 74758

View attachment 74759

View attachment 74760
I pulled a cuda behind an 85 Toyota truck for 160 miles on a car dolllie. Pulling wasn’t the problem, stopping...was was a “time it right” deal. Ha
I did make it without incident though.

Back