• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How to install a door hinge spring?

marklfarkl

Reaction score
Drivers side door is missing this torsion spring.
MN1774.jpg

I-VCSBG2hA1THThH52MrcvoESUTvflhuVvoK4x3u1vto=w526-h934-no.jpg

I found a replacement spring

Any suggestions on how to install the spring without removing the door?

AUSTA

Reaction score
What are the hinges like Moparleo is your man he does the spring & hinge it my pay to clean the crud around the hinge to stop any rust getting started.

marklfarkl

Reaction score
What are the hinges like Moparleo is your man he does the spring & hinge it my pay to clean the crud around the hinge to stop any rust getting started.

The hinge is working fine. Door shuts great. It just does not hold in place due to the missing spring. Looking to replace the spring without removing the door. The only thing I could find about this so far is this useless Youtube video...

[video]https://youtu.be/0CVkbT0wbWc[/video]

AUSTA

Reaction score
There may be method can't find one if the pin is not welded you could knock the pin up the remove the door section of the hinge giving you good access to the spring mount section i would open the door and set a floor jack under the end to stop the door dropping use a piece of wood with a slot cut so it fits securely on the bottom of the door.

moparleo

Reaction score
ehingelower.jpgSprings don't just break. One or both door check rollers are frozen and will saw a groove in the spring until it breaks.
It can be done on the car, but not easily. Look at the picture to see which direction the springs goes. It take small hands and 2 pry bars that are at least 3 ft. The straight end of the spring needs to feed up from the bottom. The end with the notch needs to have tension put non it with one of the pry bars. (It is a torsion spring.) while holding the holding tension on the spring, you will need the other pry bar or a long slotted screwdriver, (use a hammer) tap the spring down, behind the tang on the body side hinge half. If you do it correctly, there should be tension on the hinge now and the door will stay open. This is just a band-aide. The hinbge needs to be rebuilt.

Good luck. Print the picture for reference. Take it to the car and it will come to you.

Leo

ehingelower.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
I have a youtube video, but it is for off the car during final assembly. They don't just break. It is difficult but possible to do in the car. I guarantee that the spring will be temporary.

Back