• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How/where to remove axle bearing retainer

bullet18

Reaction score
I dont know how to remove the pressed on retainer from the axle to replace the bearing and seal. Google just shows me newer cars with irs or people just cutting off the bearing. Ive seen bearing puller tools but i can't wrap my head around how they would work on this application. Does anyone know how to remove these or where i could take the axles to have the bearings changed?.

15451758019886477847057680789738.jpg

rklein71

Reaction score
I have always just carefully cut a slit in the bearing to release the tension because until recently, I didn't have a press.

bullet18

Reaction score
Thanks. I guess ill cut a notch in it then.

moparleo

Reaction score
Let the machine that is going to press the new bearing on, do it. That way you don't have to worry about damaging anything. It needs to be pressed on anyway. Almost every town has a machine shop. Check with the local auto parts stores or phone book, online.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Since you're replacing the bearings, Dr. Diff sells some heavy duty axle flanges.

adjusters.jpg

aussiemark

Reaction score
You need to slide a protective sleeve onto the axle to prevent the chisel marking and weakening the axle (use a piece of snug fitting pipe). You can use an electric heat gun and carefully warm up the inner race of the new bearing then very quickly slide it on with no press required but don't get it too hot stay under 190 f you don't want to see any colour change or smoke, make sure everything is ready and have a leather glove handy before you start. This method can also be used for the retaining collar but they are not as temperature sensitive.

Last edited:

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
just take it to the machine shop - I agree with moparleo --- if a shop is going to replace the bearings just have them deal with all of it - If you have a press at home you can do the whole process at home - use a small cut off wheel to cut the retainer close to the axle then use a colt chisel to split it - it will almost fall off but then you'll need a bearing plate to press the bearing off

Back