• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

I have a question about the trunk decklid.

RYO5566

Reaction score
hello!

I have a question about the trunk decklid.
I removed the spring nut attached to the decklid hinge during restoration and lost it.
Therefore, I installed a spring nut that can be obtained in Japan, but the groove is shallow and the hinge shakes.
The inner diameter of the spring nut is approximately 7/16.
If I push it past the groove, the shaking disappears, but I'm worried that it will come off.
Are dedicated spring nuts sold at Summit, etc.?
Also, how much is the spring nut and hinge clearance?
A photo would be very helpful.

thank you for reading it until the very end!

20220829_104312.jpg

20220829_104322(0).jpg

20220829_104331.jpg

20220831_122209.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
In my opinion that spring clip is largely there to "hold" everything in place when the trunk lid is off.
When the hinges are bolted to the trunk lid it spaces the hinge plates apart. Also at this point the hinges cannot come off the pins because the trunk lid acts like a big spacer.
The pin has groove the spring clip goes in and it leaves a bit of play which is needed.
Have you greased up those pins? On mine the side that sees the load from the torsion bar has a worn groove in it but it still operates OK.

RYO5566

Reaction score
In my opinion that spring clip is largely there to "hold" everything in place when the trunk lid is off.
When the hinges are bolted to the trunk lid it spaces the hinge plates apart. Also at this point the hinges cannot come off the pins because the trunk lid acts like a big spacer.
The pin has groove the spring clip goes in and it leaves a bit of play which is needed.
Have you greased up those pins? On mine the side that sees the load from the torsion bar has a worn groove in it but it still operates

Have you greased up those pins? On mine the side that sees the load from the torsion bar has a worn groove in it but it still operates OK.

Thank you for your polite answer!
The spring clip I bought was obtained in Japan and is not a genuine part.
I confirmed that there is a groove in the pin and tried to align it, but the play in the hinge is large and the trunk lid itself swings from side to side.
If you push the clip all the way in to reduce the play, it will be in a good condition, but I'm worried because it's not the correct position.
I haven't applied grease yet, so I'm going to apply it now.

Steve340

Reaction score
I think the clip is for 1/2 inch shaft diameter but it has been a while since I worked on this part of my car.
I do not think there is a "wrong" place for that clip.
Just knock it in until you are happy.

RYO5566

Reaction score
I think the clip is for 1/2 inch shaft diameter but it has been a while since I worked on this part of my car.
I do not think there is a "wrong" place for that clip.
Just knock it in until you are happy.

Thank you for your reply!
I threw away the original clip and lost track of it.
If you push it a little, it will stabilize, so I will try it.
Thank you for being so kind!

Back