• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

I need help

wilsum

Reaction score
Evening. I am replacing my old steering box with a firm feel unit. I am having problems. Can anyone guide me to what I am doing wrong as far as getting steering column back together? I have 2 nuts loose where column attached to dash and 3 bolts out where plate meets firewall. I can’t get it to slide the rest of the way in.
Also in my struggles to remove pitman arm and steering, I sacrificed pitman arm and replaced that with what I thought would be same arm. It is a fast ratio from rate parts. Does anyone have a c body idler arm part number I can use to order to get steering geometry back to where it should be?

B947684F-447F-437B-8ED9-8A85C0D01694.jpeg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
old and new steering boxes are power steering. Are the under dash steering column loose or out?I have to ask. the only dumb question is the one that's not ask! there are different size splines. The notch and key look to be aliened. Check to see if the splines are twisted.
Seen it been there done it!

Last edited:

wilsum

Reaction score
old and new steering boxes are power steering. Are the under dash steering column loose or out?I have to ask. the only dumb question is the one that's not ask! there are different size splines. The notch and key look to be aliened. Check to see if the splines are twisted.
Seen it been there done it!
Yes. Both boxes power steering. I have tried both with bolts undone and then just lightly fastened. I am going to give it another try later and also attempt to look in the collar to see if anything looks amiss. I have tried to look at what steps I I should take or if the column should be at a certain angle to go on. It is just kicking my butt and I am almost ready to have car taken to someone that has more experience. It just should have been a remove and replace job and it has turned into a major headache. I will still have to deal with putting a new idler arm on to match the fast ratio pitman arm. More headache and aggravation. I have lost sleep over this. Lol

wilsum

Reaction score
So what was the issue?
I am not exactly sure. I propped the column up and moved the collar to make sure it would reach and I hadn’t collapsed the column. I then aligned the splines carefully ( took the third time)and then it slid in. I was very happy to succeed. Attached the 2 nuts to supports the colum and then attached other bracket to fire wall. Snugged everything down. Last is to pack collar with grease and order clip to hold cover on.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Sometimes dumb luck is better than no luck. Good to here you got it.did you get the part number? MOOG K 7014

Last edited:

cuda joe

Reaction score
i bought the fast ratio idler arm on e bay I love the steering now

Back