• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Information on 4 link

Steve340

Reaction score
I have never done the conversion from leaf springs to 4 bars. However I have been in cars and hotrods that have been changed and they seemed to work very well and the system does have some definite pros.
The cars these mods were done to had mega dollars spent on them.
My comment is generally the way they were driven I could not see that the money was spent on much more than ***** measuring.
I believe they are worth doing as an upgrade to performance and handling but if you drive like a granny or moderately why bother there will be no real measure able benefit.
If you intend to go high horsepower the leaf springs will be overwhelmed and the conversion probably is worth every cent.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I had a car years ago (GM) with coil spring 4 link set up std and found it more prone to axle hop then leaf set ups I actually twisted one of the diff tubes. Leaf springs have a self dampening feature from the friction between the leaves that coil springs lack. Like Steve340 said leaf springs have a limit then you have to use ladder bars or 4 link but it would have to be set up correctly and if you don't have more power then the leaf spring can handle it's just a waist of time and money. You won't save much weight because of the bars needed to locate the axle where a leaf spring does it all. Chrysler springs tend to be more flat then others and this helps the handling and torque capability by reducing sway and whip.

Last edited:

70Barracuda

Reaction score
I was unwrapping the leafs with my 378/340 hard in 1st and pretty good going to 2nd, so these things I understand. Now with the 493...

Reilly says axle wrap/wheel hop is eliminated and ride quality is improved and I have to think that is true. This is no drag car but when a guy wants to let er out, I want it all to work. I don't think I am doing any 'measuring'.. ha

Steve340

Reaction score
With that big motor (493?) I would go for the 4 link and coilovers I think you will need it.
The only thing you need measure is two black stripes. Oh and provide photographic evidence.

70Barracuda

Reaction score
Looking forward to it Steve. Wanting to get going on this suspension stuff. Also I need to rebuild the front end. I am thinking poly kit w tubular UCA's I hear that make a big difference in drive quality.

Thoughts?

Steve340

Reaction score
I have devoted a fair bit of brain power to this question. It is easy to go over the top. There are so many variables and considerations of what you want from the car.
I am doing what you propose with the upper a arms and adding strengthening plates to the bottom arms. Also 0.960 torsion bars. I am happy with upgraded stock suspension but you may want more.
If you drive aggressively maybe a kit like the Alterkation will compliment your rear suspension.
Try Bergman Auto Craft he has some options and his prices and service are very good.

70Barracuda

Reaction score
Im not expecting killer cornering just not wallowing like now. I was thinking the LCA plates too. My car is a factory 383 and my 493 has aluminum heads and water pump so I think I am in the SB weight range, and being a low mileage car I think I'll leave the T bars alone.

The Reilly kit is more than I want to deal with and spend. Just finished up a motorcycle project and spent more than I planned. I loath debt and I went there more than I like.

I drove a 94 Ranger for a while and thought, if the car could handle as good as it Id be okay with it. lol.

Steve340

Reaction score
Realistic expectations. Buy good shocks they make a difference.
I have Koni but I hear Bilstein is good.

Back