• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Installing mini starter prob

70challengerRT/SE

Reaction score
Im having problems installing a mini starter on my 70 challenger RT. There is a threaded side of a bolt sticking out of engine with a nut and a circle plate on it. The positive terminal of the starter rest up against this bolt. Not sure what the bolt with circular plate and nut even is. Any help would b much appreciated. 1st time restoring so......

Thanks

BIGSHCLUNK

Reaction score
Like so...? Granted I did have to take my Dremel and shave the block just a little.

Steering gear 6 006 (640x480).jpg

Steering Gear 7 003 (640x480).jpg

Steering Gear 7 004 (640x454).jpg

70challengerRT/SE

Reaction score
Ok I can get the mini starter in place. Bolted and everything, but the positive terminal on the starter is up against a threaded bolt coming out of the engine block. It has a nut and circle metal plate on it also. I took the nut off and plate and it's almost like a rubber plug or filler around that bolt. Thought about cutting it off, but don't want to do that when I don't know what it is.

moparleo

Reaction score
It looks to me like a universal softplug. These were made to install temporarily repair a bad freeze plug. They are a rubber plug that is put in the hole and the nut is tightened causing the plug to expand in the hole. They were also used where it was not easy to access the plug hole without removing the starter and manifold. Remove it and replace with a brass plug before you put everything back together. I would also check all of the plugs for evidence of leaking and replace them also.

BIGSHCLUNK

Reaction score
Iw ondered if it was some kind of wannabe freeze plug od even a block heater. Get rid of it and put in a real one :)

Back