• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Is there a difference between auto and manual consoles?

EW1BH27

Reaction score
The lower half on the drivers side is cut out to accommodate the 4 speed boot, not cut on automatics. Picture from ebay, that company also sells the template.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

Bstoker87

Reaction score
You can cut the lower driver side of the console and buy a manual top plate to convert a auto console.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
You can cut the lower driver side of the console and buy a manual top plate to convert a auto console.
Thanks. I actually have the opposite problem. I have an auto car with an auto console that’s got some wear. I have a manual console in much better condition that I would like to install in place of the auto one, wondering if the manual will fit over the auto tunnel hump with no issues.

If it will, the plan will be to swap top plates.

pschlosser

Reaction score
Yea, I expect a manual lower console to fit just fine over the automatic shifter. As you said, swapping the upper woodgrain plate may be the only structural difference.

Bstoker87

Reaction score
Thanks. I actually have the opposite problem. I have an auto car with an auto console that’s got some wear. I have a manual console in much better condition that I would like to install in place of the auto one, wondering if the manual will fit over the auto tunnel hump with no issues.

If it will, the plan will be to swap top plates.
It should work fine if you buy the correct auto top plate, i have a nice 70 auto top plate if needed.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
The lower half on the drivers side is cut out to accommodate the 4 speed boot, not cut on automatics. Picture from ebay, that company also sells the template.

View attachment 101671
Thanks for all the replies. After looking at this image and comparing it to both of my consoles, I realize I have two auto consoles -- one with a 4 speed top plate. The reason I was asking about the differences was because they looked identical to me, and that's because they are.
IFz41u3KTpijr05k23C2tg.jpg
QuZQxsqKSrex6uC135gFFg.jpg

I'll swap out the current console for the other one that's in better condition and switch top plates, so I have an auto top plate.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Glad it's sorted out. Depending on it's condition that 4 speed top plate could be desirable.

Back