• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Is this correct? distributor install…

jsandy

Reaction score
I verified that i was at correct TDC, by looking through the exhaust port. When i turn the engine crankshaft about 90 degrees past TDC, the exhaust valve starts to open. I have the balancer mark right at the mark, and the distributor rotor pointing right at No. 1 cylinder.
Are these positions correct for initial install of the distributor?

A4E9462E-1C52-4F29-81E7-668272B2E4CF.jpeg

BD1430F8-E12D-4E73-88A4-DC167F4EEEAB.jpeg

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
You did not verify TDC with the method you used. Positive stop is the only wat without disassembly and doing it properly with a degree wheel.
Here is a diagram from the Factory Service Manual which you should have for any car you plan on doing any type of service on from a simple oil change to an overhaul.

Attachments

• 383-440 DISTRIBUTOR OIL PUMP DRIVE INSTALL (1) (1) (2) (1).pdf
    957.9 KB · Views: 91
  • big block tdc.jpg
    big block tdc.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 86

Adam

Reaction score
If it is TDC on the compression stroke then yes, if 180 out then no; You must verify this. Also remember the dist rotates counter clockwise on a big block. Also to expand on what Leo said… if you use a positive stop screwed into the spark plug hole and bring it gently around both ways, marking the balancer where it stops, TDC will be exactly between these marks and hopefully confirm your balancer timing mark.

Kind of confusing, but with the engine cylinder #1 at TDC on the compression stroke, the distributor can be installed in any position as long as it engages into the intermediate oil shaft, and the plug wires begin where the dist rotor is… so if you want to change where the rotor is you can lift/remove and rotate the intermediate shaft one, or several teeth in either direction, making sure the shaft seats fully into the oil pump when you have it where you want it. Then install the dist verifying the rotor is pointing where you want it.

Last edited:

Daves69

Reaction score
FWIW.....
The basic stock distributor in a BB did not have the rotor pointing at #1 cylinder. In the diagram below you can see the rotor would be pointing toward the alternator. The vacuum advance was recommended to be pointing at #1 as installed such as this from the net.........

1662821071225.png

1662819791225.png

A distributor rotor can point any direction as long as you index the wires to suit.

I have my MP distributor rotor in the "stock" location..........

1662820663113.png

moparleo

Reaction score
The "stock position" from the Factory Service Manual specifies number one cylinder on the cap, not pointing to number one cylinder. That is only on the rear distributor A engines.

440 DISTRIBUTOR CAP NUMBER 1.jpg

Attachments

• Document_2022-09-10_115634.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 74

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Plenty of reasons to move the #1 to another location. Putting the vacuum advance canister in a better location to avoid obstacles to adjusting your timing is one good reason.
I run the Terminator X Stealth EFI with Holley's Hyperspark distributor (by MSD) which does not have a vacuum advance canister. I chose to put the #1 wire 180° out from the stock cap location which made my wire routing quite a bit more organized. The MSD 32733 Wire Set comes ready-to-install and worked perfectly with #1 at the 11 o'clock position. My Hyperspark coil is hidden under the heater hoses on the passenger inner fender.

Hyperspark Distributor Labeled Spark Plug Wires - RB Engine.jpg

jsandy

Reaction score
I think i have it correct now. How does that look?

Attachments

• F0849036-2173-4F55-9167-323594CB7A5B.jpeg
    F0849036-2173-4F55-9167-323594CB7A5B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I think i have it correct now. How does that look?
It looks correct as long as you have the engine at TDC on #1 cylinder.

BTW, I am running the Performer RPM intake as well. Smoothed the runners and painted it with hemi orange engine paint. Best intake for the RB engines on the street.

Slug

Reaction score
How do you know that your distributor is 180 out before trying to start the car?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I do it the same as above with the 3 wires to the drivers side on the drivers side of the cap & the 3 to the right side on that side of the cap just makes it cleaner with less wires crossing the cap .
You have to look at the valves to see which stroke you are on , if you rotate the engine slightly & both valves move you are beginning intake stroke & the exhaust valve will be closing .

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Old time way. Put your finger over the number 1 spark plug hole and rotate the engine. If it is on the compression stroke it will blow on your finger when it nears TDC.:oops:
Definitely, and I have even used a compression gauge on cylinder #1 to know the intake and exhaust valves were closed on the compression stroke.

halifaxhop

Reaction score
OK here I go dont need armchair replies on this one. Rotor position can definately change in relation to the oil pump drives on the dual points. There seems to be different "rotor" clocking on thoe advance cam and also the distributor drive haft so there really is no one way to set it. Use the FSM for that year and model engine to determin it.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
How do you know that your distributor is 180 out before trying to start the car?
Short answer: If you are truly at TDC on the #1 cylinder's compression stroke, a distributor installed 180° out will result in the rotor incorrectly pointing to the #6 wire on the cap.

Long answer for anyone needing the info:
Different situations require slightly different processes. The #1 spark plug wire is always at the same location on the cap if you follow the factory service manual and the other wires go CCW for big-block and CW for small-block. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 for both big-block and small-block Mopar engines. Factory setup is good for almost all installations.

Not replacing the distributor cap and/or spark plug wires and keeping the factory spark plug wire locations on the cap:
Engine must be at TDC on the #1 cylinder's compression stroke.
Oil pump intermediate shaft/gear installed as per the factory service manual with the slot for the distributor aligned as per manual (Big-block has slot aligned with crankshaft front-to-rear, Small-block has slot "pointing" to the front intake manifold bolt on driver side).
Distributor installed with the rotor correctly pointing at #1 wire/cap location. If the rotor does point to the #1 wire on the cap, you are good to start. If it is incorrectly pointing at the #6 wire (180° out), remove the distributor, rotate 180° and drop it back in. Re-attach the distributor cap and start the engine.

Changing the distributor cap and/or spark plug wires and choosing the location for #1 spark plug wire on the cap:
Engine must be at TDC on the #1 cylinder's compression stroke.
In this case, you have the option of choosing the location of the the #1 wire and can do so by choosing where to install the oil pump intermediate shaft. The shaft's slot can be placed anywhere that works for your chosen #1 wire/cap location as long as you have verified that the distributor clears everything and will not have its vacuum advance canister hitting something. The vacuum advance canister needs to have enough clearance to rotate for timing adjustment. If you do not have a vacuum advance canister, no issues for clearance.
Just make sure the rotor points to that chosen #1 wire when you drop in the distributor, install your spark plug wires in the correct order, and route the wires to the correct cylinders and you are ready to start the engine.

Back