• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Is this crank still servicable or scrap?

J72440rallye

Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding a 5.9 Magnum engine to power my dad's 71 Challenger. A buddy recommended a local machine shop after the same shop built him a small block Ford. I called the shop, went over the details and brought him my parts. The block was punched. 040" over, crank turned, rods resized, decked, new Silvolite pistons installed and the whole rotating assembly spun balanced. I just picked up the goodies yesterday. I didn't look everything over before leaving, because I had assumed that since this shop had been around for 30 plus years and what I had done was nothing out of the ordinary (mistake on my part). Once I got home I unloaded everything and realized that the shop didn't mention how much the crank was cut, so I pulled the plastic crank bag down to mic the journals and saw the crank counterweights as shown below. I instantly felt sick looking at it. At first I figured that this crank is destined for the scrap pile, but was thinking that maybe since it isn't really in a high stress fatigue risk area it may be one of those things that looks ugly, but works fine. I have not taken it back to the shop just yet, I wanted to get some feedback first and may take it to another shop for a second opinion on serviceability. I was told by the shop owner before the work started that he was the only one who did the machining work in order to keep everything at the proper quality. It would be a shame to pay for the same service twice (different shop of course) and have to source another crank, but I don't want to grenade a fresh block either. Thank you in advance for the advice.
20191203_225513.jpg
20191203_225527.jpg
20191203_225519.jpg
20191203_225600.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
What the heck did they do to it? Did it need welding when you dropped it off??
I guess I don’t understand.

Reaction score
I'm a retired mechanic and have had engine components balanced, and built a few performance engines and I've never seen a balance job that ugly ever.
The signs of heat on the counter weights I don't recall seeing that either.
I would definitely have another shop look it over for you, and it might be a good idea to have them check the balance of the whole assembly.
It might be fine, but it sure looks like poor quality work.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Looks like a crack repair and sloppy balancing. If it is balanced, and the bearing surfaces are good, it is probably good.

budascuda

Reaction score
Sorry to see this happen to you. After this kind of handy work, I would check not just the crank but EVERY THING he laid hands on.
If that crank shaft could talk, it would tell us an unbelievable story of pain and sorrow.
It would probably be interesting to take the crank back and ask the guy what happened to it.
Good luck tho..

aussiemark

Reaction score
When you need to lighten a counter weight during balancing you drill an existing hole deeper or drill an extra hole. When you need to add weight you have to add Mallory metal (a special heavy metal used for balancing) a slug of Mallory is usually pressed into a hole and welded in place to prevent it from being flung out by the centrifugal forces. I agree this looks like a lot has been done to it, was the factory external balancing maintained or has this crankshaft been converted to internal balance? When you have an externally balanced engine's rotating assembly checked and corrected you need the damper and flywheel (or converter) as they have counter weights that must be taken into account.

Last edited:

Edward Hackett

Reaction score
I believe a 5.9 has a cast crank and external balance. The circumference of those holes are broken off,(cast steel is brittle). You need your money back and a new crank.

Back