• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Joe's 1972 Barracuda - 72BRCDA Build

jjklongisland

Reaction score
From California to Long Island (By way of Connecticut). So I already introduced myself a few months back when I first purchased my 1972 Barracuda from a great guy that recently moved to Connecticut from California. I first saw this car for sale on Bring a Trailer (great auction site) and it never hit its reserve. After the auction we wound up striking a deal and my dream of finally owning a real Mopar Muscle Car (not a 1975 Chrysler Cordoba) came true. I am a true muscle car fan with limited wrenching skills. I could never repay my best buddy John (who is mostly in the photos) who is helping me through this journey. He is a Chevy guy but has warmed up to this little mighty mopar and is just as excited as I am to start making her even better. As said earlier car lived 98% of its life in California. 3 previous owners (last one since 1999). It retains all its factory sheet metal and in early 2000's was fitted with a rebuilt 1969 340 with x heads, mild cam, TTI 904 tranny and fi-tech fuel injection. At first I figured to just drive it as is and did so as much as possible over the last few months. Couldn't really get the fi-tech dialed in and was disappointed with its off the line power. Once she got going she quite the runner but what good is a muscle car if it cant do long smokey burnouts. At first I wanted to just change from a column shift to center console floor shifter and replace the racing seats with factory reupholstered ones. I was also going to replace the fi-tech with a Holley Sniper Fuel Injection (rated for up to 600hp). The engine compartment also needed some tidying therefore I was going to pull the motor anyway. That lead me to my current journey. Of course things change. We are gluttons for punishment. While the motor was pulled we pulled the heads and saw that the block was already bored out 40 over and was in excellent condition. The cam bearings showed some wear and needed replacing so what the hell, lets build a stout small block that sounds mean and can do all the smokey burnouts to my hearts content.

I recently just bought the following:
Speedmaster Cast Aluminum Cylinder Heads with Hydraulic Roller Cam 65 cc / 170 cc
Comp Cams Mutha Thumpr Hydraulic Roller Camshaft 522/509 lift, 291/311 duration
Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnum Shaft Mount Rocker Arms
ARP Head Studs
Timing Chain Set
Oil Pump
Water pump
Thermostat
Cam Bearings
Engine Gasket Set
Energy Suspension Hyper Flex Bushing Set
Replacement front floor pans
Carpet
Center Console Mount
Dynamat
Door Sill Plates

Round two purchases within next 2 weeks are as follows:
Holley Sniper Fuel Injection with fuel pump and lines
TTI Headers
TCI 2500 stall converter
Talon Hydraulics Hydroboost Wilwood Brake set up
Line Locks
Alternator

Here is me pulling the car into the garage the first day I got it home:

Last edited:

jjklongisland

Reaction score
First thing I did was delete the speakers and replace rear package tray. Did that when I first got it. The rest of the photos were taken Friday night and Saturday.

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

RWID6173.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

jjklongisland

Reaction score
This was right before we pulled the motor and when we cut off the exhaust. Yes the new custom exhaust will have cut outs. Why, because they are obnoxious. :)

jjklongisland

Reaction score
Made some custom brackets for my line locks and proportioning valve

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

jjklongisland

Reaction score
Had to recess the high pressure fuel pump so it clears the trunk floor. Also mounted the battery in the trunk.

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

jjklongisland

Reaction score
Its been a lot of Saturdays working on this beast but the light is almost at the end of the tunnel. Just really have wiring left and gauge install. Its getting there...

pyYNG1rfTFS8d5cCQdsE+A.jpg

W9ez82xtQdajAl1DAVUdmw.jpg

iga6iWcCSkKWXA7CwDKR7w.jpg

swBB1%S4RHCFMTqNG7HgzA.jpg

FGM8Q2JIRb2rJdn5QESAVg.jpg

TiMXknWoQMKL9DnhPt7RAQ.jpg

sfGGLQb2TYGGNgqzIHoYdw.jpg

Back