• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Just installed a Hydra Boost system

Litchkar

Reaction score
i installed a SSBC front disc kit a few years ago on my 71 power drum Challenger. I was never happy and after having a shop upgraded it to a dual diaphragm booster and a Willwood master, it still would not lock up the brakes in a panic stop. I finally broke down and ordered a system off E-bay that was set up for an E-Body. I passed on the adapter plate because I did not need to clock it to clear my 340. It cost me $525 plus 125 for a hose kit from classic performance products (CPP) with all the fittings. The only extra part I needed was a 1/2 x20 inverted flare fitting for the PS gear box. Now I can brake normally, but a little extra push and it will lock up at 40 MPH.
Tips if you are doing it your self, take the drivers seat and steering wheel out, you are under the dash on your back and this will make your job much easier. the unit is longer than my previous setup, but I had semi flexible brake lines off the master, so I didn’t need to disconnect the brake lines or bleed the system.

0B02E118-D136-4483-8A48-CB6F5712F266.jpeg

A7EDFCA5-4FB6-43F9-AD85-6DE44C0F81AE.jpeg

A30DB5F6-46B6-4B29-92C7-8D02557B3003.jpeg

261E6B60-287A-4ADB-8345-8AD87FE0CC76.jpeg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I constantly encounter the same problem not sure if it has something to do with the Wilwood master or not but Hydroboost cures the braking issues after converting the brakes

70chall440

Reaction score
I am going to use a HB in my 71 Charger and have been looking at a variety of set ups and methods to get what I want. I like this system overall, what all did you get for the $525?

Litchkar

Reaction score
I am going to use a HB in my 71 Charger and have been looking at a variety of set ups and methods to get what I want. I like this system overall, what all did you get for the $525?
Just the HB unit with the E-body mount. All the fittings came with the hose kit from Classic Performance Parts. The seller did not include any instructions, but I e-mailed him probably 4 times with questions and every time he responded with in minutes. As you can see from the pictures, the overall length is about 4” more than my dual booster, it is hard to find units set up for Mopars.

70chall440

Reaction score
I have looked at a few systems as well as developing my own. I am not sure which way I am going to go but I am having a hard time getting my head around why I should spend $500+ on one when stock/factory units are much cheaper, I am just not sure what you are getting.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Exactly , you can get a hydro boost unit from Rockauto in the $150 range , make re-inforcement plate & the lines & go .

70chall440

Reaction score
I was looking at HB systems today, the one I am planning on using is for a 05 Ram and they run about $200. I am not sure what mods I will have to do to use it but I cannot imagine it being all that hard.

Litchkar

Reaction score
The point of the original post was to show my system and speak to the braking improvement that it made. I understand that someone can fabricate the mounts and build a system cheaper. I do not have the necessary skills to do that type of fabrication work. Plus I wanted a set up was was designed for my car. We are talking about stopping your car, so I wanted to do it right. If you look at systems available on line, most are more than I spent.

70chall440

Reaction score
Just for clarity, I was/am not at all questioning what you paid or how you did it, I applaud your efforts and appreciate you posting it. I was merely commenting on my own situation, I completely get that not everyone has the tools/resources and/or skills to do a lot of fabrication. Believe me, there many times when I would rather just pay the money and get something relatively done than go through the pain of sourcing individual parts and making this or that.

I think you got a pretty good deal overall as there are much more expensive systems out there.

Back