• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Just Installed a Manual Disc Brake Kit on 70 Barracuda

ken 408 Stroker

Reaction score
This kit needed some changes to make operational, But Now the car Brakes Better than ever and wanted everybody who was thinking about this know its a Easy Swap.

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

moparlee

Reaction score
Looks good Ken, but you need to tell us more. What kit and parts did you use and what modifications did you have to do?

R4Sedan

Reaction score
Notice you have sway bar. Were the calipers suppose to be to the front or back? Or did it matter?

ken 408 Stroker

Reaction score
Sorry about being vague, The kit was suppose to be a complete drop in. However the porpotional value hit the LH Fender well when installed. I made a New Bracket which dropped the Porpotionsl valve lower &
then turned the valve 180 degrees. This ment Flaring new lines, which ment buying a Double flare tool. After alignment, car is stop at 80% Front braking power 20% rear, with No pull and wheel stays straight. Thanks Ken

Robert Franke

Reaction score
I bought a 71 challenger couple of years ago...running project car..first thing I worked on was the brakes..front disk with Chrysler markings..no big deal...after sending 2 sets of rotors back and a bunch of trying to figure out wtf? I finally figured out what was goin on..previous owner put 74 model factory power brakes on it! They work great..now I dont have to worry about finding aftermarket replacement kit parts..must have been the go to upgrade years ago.

i_taz

Reaction score
That would have been the way to go before aftermarket caught up which really wasn't THAT long ago...

Robert Franke

Reaction score
The nice thing about it I can go to any parts store and get replacement parts..just gotta remember 74 e body...I really thought I was going to have to replace everything with aftermarket...dodged a bullet!

i_taz

Reaction score
Some kits are based on existing components for instance Master Power use calipers from the Mirada's.

Robert Franke

Reaction score
Understood..if you run into one without knowing what or where..it could be mustang who knows? That was the position I was in before I found some good parts guys to identify the old rotors that fit my factory spindles?? I've been a professional mechanic my whole life..this isnt the first time I've ran across mods..some good..some not so good..after many hours of research I feel like I lucked out knowing factory listed parts wont go out of biz....if I need a new booster or caliper all I gotta find is a parts store. It would have been nice to know the factory Chrysler parts were from another yr model.

Robert Franke

Reaction score
Yup..dont remember those..I'm a retired chevy tech from dallas...at 63 my eyes are lying to me...thanks for the history lesson. My Whole point was to the guy that put a manual conversion on his car with probably overpriced kit.. Could have put factory 74 power brake parts on..looks factory...fits right..designed by factory. Probably cheaper..The best upgrades are those. You only get 1 brake failure! Was wondering why mp would use jap parts. Right stuff is another option I've used on several conversions when no other options available. Sorry for the misunderstanding

i_taz

Reaction score
Mirada's were only around 3 yrs but same chassis as the Cordoba at that time. Did you read the hp for the slant 6...85hp? and that was the most popular engine...! Boy, those were dark, dark days.

Robert Franke

Reaction score
Only into high perfomance street cars! I'm reliving my high school days from forrest lane in the early 70s...this mopar is one I've always wanted..its as stupid fast as some of the GM cars I've owened....wish had them BACK!

Back