• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

K member/steering gear

money pit

Reaction score
I installed a K member from a B body (don't know the year), into my 70 Barracuda, so I can install a 360. The car was originally a slant six. I noticed that when I installed the gear box (power steering) the shaft from the gear box and the steering coupler are about 1/2 inch off. Is there any adjustment I can make? Is there a flexible joint I can install? If so, where can I get this joint. I will try to send a picture. Thanks

moparlee

Reaction score
If you have the correct matching parts, k-frame, steering gear, steering column, there is no need for any kind of modifications. There is some axial movement in the steering coupler itself. Send us a picture of your setup.

money pit

Reaction score
If you have the correct matching parts, k-frame, steering gear, steering column, there is no need for any kind of modifications. There is some axial movement in the steering coupler itself. Send us a picture of your setup.
I'll send a picture. The steering gear and shaft are from the Barracuda. The K member is the only part different. Thanks

money pit

Reaction score
I'll send a picture. The steering gear and shaft are from the Barracuda. The K member is the only part different. Thanks
Here are some pictures. It looks like the steering gear is really angled. Can the the steering shaft be moved down. It looks like if the parts did match up, the slot for the pin wouldn't match up.

steering gear 2.jpg

steering gear 3.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Is the steering gear up tight to the shock tower? I know it's close, but it shouldn't be touching like that.

moparlee

Reaction score
It could be the wrong k-frame, but it could also be the correct one but with some damage to it. Can you tell if anything looks to be bent or broken and someone tried to re-weld it? Look at the front vertical face of the k-frame and there should be some numbers stamped or even a "coin" tacked on with some numbers on it.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sorry to say, it is the wrong K- member. You can break the welds and rotate the box or replace the K. Do an internet search. I know this was gone over in detail on www.moparts.com

money pit

Reaction score
Sorry to say, it is the wrong K- member. You can break the welds and rotate the box or replace the K. Do an internet search. I know this was gone over in detail on www.moparts.com
I think it's from a 69 B body. I think I'll try to get a k member for an E body. Thanks. I'll look at the link.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
@money pit I have an extra Ebody K frame. Shipping would be from south Florida. Send a PM to me if you are interested.

RJH

Reaction score
What was wrong with the original k-frame ? 70-74 e-bodies only had one k-frame for all engines the only difference was big block hemi cars had a skid plate.

money pit

Reaction score
What was wrong with the original k-frame ? 70-74 e-bodies only had one k-frame for all engines the only difference was big block hemi cars had a skid plate.
The original K member was for a slant six. I installed a K member from a B body, I think it was from a 69 B body which is a little different from a 70 B body. A 70 and later B body will fit an E body.

Back