• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

K members

Jon Crull

Reaction score
I have always been told there are Slant six K members Chrysler small block V8 K members and then big block K members and a 426 Hemi member. I was just told they only had slant six and v8 k members. This guy also told me I can drop a 440 right in my 74 Challenger Rallye four Speed that is a 360 k member. Is they any truth to that. Has anyone on here done this.

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
Yes a Big Block will go right in. I put a 440 in my 74 Cuda that came with a 318.

Jon Crull

Reaction score
You did not have to change anything. Did the factory gear box get in the way

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
You have to change a few things. Of course you need a big block transmission or in your case a bell housing, and you need the big block engine mounts,
you will need to modify your distributor wiring as it will now be in the front and of course a new exhaust

As far as clearing everything, It is always close, but I had no issues and the steering box clears just fine. and, I have power steering and power breaks

There are always detail's to address when changing from small to big block, but, its not hard, if you do a little research ( which your doing now ) and take your time.

Jon Crull

Reaction score
Thank you. I have two 360 I think I'm just going to drop one in so I can enjoy the car and pick up a 440 and save money to build it. I think dollar for HP I would get more out of a 440 then stroking a 360 into a 408 but I see a lot of guys building 408

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
I am a Big Block fan myself but, there is nothing wrong with a good small block, and I'm all for enjoying it now and save for future projects

Post some pictures we all like to see projects

Jon Crull

Reaction score
Day one

IMG_20160306_121504.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
One thing to do if you have the K-member out is to make sure there are no cracks and to complete all the welds top and bottom. Also good to reinforce the torsion bar mount holes and strut rod holes, usually with large, hardened washers welded into place. Sandblast before you inspect for any damage.

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
The difference between RB and B blocks is deck height. The things that will not interchange is the intake manifold and the distributor, and of course they have different internals. As far as installing them in a car, the trans, wiring, and exhaust would be the same. a 383 is a B block and 440 is RB

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
Good advice getting all the seams welded up, and checking the reinforcing plates at the LCA pivots and strut rod anchors, I've had a K member fail horribly at the LCA pivot tube on one side.

Back