• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Key stuck in ignition...help

Cody Goode

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed I really did look and didnt find anything on this forum before posting.
Key has been stuck in ignition since I bought the car. 1970 challenger. Automatic floor shift. No it isnt upside down the key was stuck in the run position and wiggles. And was also in neutral and wouldnt go into park. Yes I unhooked the linkage and pulled up on the 90* piece coming off the bottom of the steering column by the firewall. It was locked up at first but then came free and rotated it all the way up. Was able to force the ignition to the off position but when I do that it wont budge and actually seems like the key is being held on by vice grips. Now the ignition is free and I can move it from off to on to start without resistance. Again the key wiggles in the on and start position but when it gets back to off the key wont budge. Do you think the column isnt all the way up to allow the key free or is it just stuck in there and needs to be forced out? I'm trying to avoid breaking the key...what should my next step be? Anybody got anything?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be stuck in the tumblers. You could try spraying some liquid graphite into the lock and see if it frees up.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
If you don't know how to rebuild the column here is a link to a good video about them. Knowing the inner workings should help you get the key working without damaging anything.
Videos

You may have to get the lock out and submerge it in a solvent.

MattR

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed I really did look and didnt find anything on this forum before posting.
Key has been stuck in ignition since I bought the car. 1970 challenger. Automatic floor shift. No it isnt upside down the key was stuck in the run position and wiggles. And was also in neutral and wouldnt go into park. Yes I unhooked the linkage and pulled up on the 90* piece coming off the bottom of the steering column by the firewall. It was locked up at first but then came free and rotated it all the way up. Was able to force the ignition to the off position but when I do that it wont budge and actually seems like the key is being held on by vice grips. Now the ignition is free and I can move it from off to on to start without resistance. Again the key wiggles in the on and start position but when it gets back to off the key wont budge. Do you think the column isnt all the way up to allow the key free or is it just stuck in there and needs to be forced out? I'm trying to avoid breaking the key...what should my next step be? Anybody got anything?
I have a ‘70 Challenger that does the same thing sometimes. Turns out it was originally a colum shift but they only replaced the lever collar, not the whole shaft. Check if the collar piece right up by the dash, (not the one closer to the steering wheel), rotates. If so, rotate it towards the driver side door and your key will release. Doesn’t matter if it’s in park or gear. Took me months to figure this out on accident, lol

Cody Goode

Reaction score
If you don't know how to rebuild the column here is a link to a good video about them. Knowing the inner workings should help you get the key working without damaging anything.
Videos
You may have to get the lock out and submerge it in a solvent.

I have a ‘70 Challenger that does the same thing sometimes. Turns out it was originally a colum shift but they only replaced the lever collar, not the whole shaft. Check if the collar piece right up by the dash, (not the one closer to the steering wheel), rotates. If so, rotate it towards the driver side door and your key will release. Doesn’t matter if it’s in park or gear. Took me months to figure this out on accident, lol

Thanks guys I'm trying everything

Mopar-Nut

Reaction score
Graveyard Carz Season 10 Episode 4 "
Graveyard Carz S10E04 It's A Duster Buster"
They do a good segment on the assembly of a 1971 and up Challenger Steering column. Might help. Starts at about the 24 minute mark.

Cody Goode

Reaction score
Graveyard Carz Season 10 Episode 4 "
Graveyard Carz S10E04 It's A Duster Buster"
They do a good segment on the assembly of a 1971 and up Challenger Steering column. Might help. Starts at about the 24 minute mark.

Gotta love a 1970 challenger! Of course that awesome video is only for 71-74 lol but it was a good watch thanks! I appreciate it. Still helpful as the build for the column is very similar

Cody Goode

Reaction score
Remove the steering wheel and look up a You Tube video on replacing the ignition lock, not the switch. Very simple.

I cant find anything for 70 and the other years have a different set up. Unless mine is completely missing something and that could be the reason mine wont budge lol

Back