• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Kick Down Linkage

Ron-B-Cuda

Reaction score
Hi all, yes, another question. As you may remember, I ordered the 360/408 engine and 727 from Blue Print Engines. The engine currently in the Barracuda (318/904) does not have kick down linkage. Here come the questions:
1. Is the kick down linkage actually required? I remember way back in 1979, my mechanic friend took off the kick down linkage, stating that it wasn’t required (1973 Cuda 340/727), because I used the slap stick to go through the gears.
2. should I hunt down original kick down linkage? Can’t imagine that would be an easy task or inexpensive
3. I did read here that folk are happy with the Locar system. Is that the aftermarket system to use, or is another vendor recommended?
4. Sorry for all these basic questions. I’ve just never had to deal with these circumstances before.
5. I thank you all I. Advance for your responses and having patience. Eventually, someone will ask a question that I can answer ;-)

moparleo

Reaction score
Especially with a non stock set-up, Lokar is the answer. All factory kick down linkage setups are for a specific geometry. With different manifolds, carbs from stock the original linkage won't work without modifications anyway. Running a trans without the kick down ( which is what controls the internal trans line pressures) will invite damage to your trans.

rogue

Reaction score
Lokar +1... if your valve body doesn't run at full pressure always then kick down is required.

Adam

Reaction score
A kickdown is only required if you want your trans to last more than a few days....jk. I agree with the others, Lokar is the way to go. Adjust it so there is no play in the cable.

bennydodge

Reaction score
I use stock kickdown with my air gap intake and 750 street demon carb. There's a suprising amount of adjustability in the stock pieces. It will take some trial and error to get it right though.

Ron-B-Cuda

Reaction score
Hi All, happy Sunday! I hate asking, but it’s a bit more confusing than I thought it would be. Regarding the LOKAR kickdown cable; the Blueprint Engine has a Holley 750 (3310) carb. Which kickdown cable and carb bracket do I need? I like the black versions (instead of bright chrome). I’ve looked at the LOKAR website and several vendors, but can’t figure it out. My apologies for bothering ya’ll on such a pretty day. Thank you very much!

Rich G.

Reaction score
Hi all, yes, another question. As you may remember, I ordered the 360/408 engine and 727 from Blue Print Engines. The engine currently in the Barracuda (318/904) does not have kick down linkage. Here come the questions:
1. Is the kick down linkage actually required? I remember way back in 1979, my mechanic friend took off the kick down linkage, stating that it wasn’t required (1973 Cuda 340/727), because I used the slap stick to go through the gears.
2. should I hunt down original kick down linkage? Can’t imagine that would be an easy task or inexpensive
3. I did read here that folk are happy with the Locar system. Is that the aftermarket system to use, or is another vendor recommended?
4. Sorry for all these basic questions. I’ve just never had to deal with these circumstances before.
5. I thank you all I. Advance for your responses and having patience. Eventually, someone will ask a question that I can answer ;-)

lemondana

Reaction score
I hoe you are not still friends with your mechanic! He must have been a Chevy dumbass!

Ron-B-Cuda

Reaction score
I hoe you are not still friends with your mechanic! He must have been a Chevy dumbass!

Merry Christmas!
Umm, yes, he was a Chevy man. How did you know? Thinking back to 1979, I actually had transmission issues, over and over again. I guess the lack of a kickdown linkage reared its ugly head, several times. Unfortunately, while driving the highway to work, a rubber fuel line leaked and burned the Cuda down to the ground. It wasn’t pretty.
- Side note: a couple of weeks ago I ordered the linkage and bracket, and TTI headers with extension pipes.
- Thank you for your input, it made me laugh and think about the old days. Happy New Year!!

Back