• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

LA to RB 4 speed questions

Devennyracing

Reaction score
We currently have a 360 with a 4 speed in our 74 challenger. We also have a healthy 440 sitting on a stand. What would be needed to put the 440 in and keep the 4 speed? Is it as simple as getting the big block bellhousing, clutch and flywheel? Fork? Does it have to be an ebody bellhousing or will any big block housing work? Is a 10.5 clutch enough for about 450-500hp? Or should it be an 11in?

Any help with this is appreciated,
Mike

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Hi, sounds like you know most of what needs done. When using a big block you can have a large clutch or small. A big block on a small block k frame requires special after market engine mounts and they are easily obtainable. I built my challenger with a 383 and a large 11" clutch that requires a large bell housing. All of the items that made up my power train I had acquired at a good price.

As you start to assemble your power train, things are going to add up. For you, it's what you want an can afford. These are things I think about as I compose a project.

I would even think about making a stronger small block, but that's just my 2 cents.

Have nice weekend and I'll watch this thread and see what you decide

Azmoparboy

Daves69

Reaction score
Is the 440 crank bushed for the trans input?
Bell housing change and indicate it in while torqued to the block.
Some older 10-1/2" bells may not work with a tall 10-1/2" or 11" scalloped (same bolt up as 10-1/2") clutch cover.
Flywheel, release bearing, fork, pivot, adjust rod assy., bell crank and ball studs are all items to consider.

An 11" clutch cover is larger than the 11" scalloped clutch (if you can find them now) and requires the 143 tooth flywheel with lager bell as the starter is further out.

Link is geared to Abodies but may be useful to you...……….
Mopar Big-Block A-Body 4-Speed Conversion

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Like Daves69 mentioned, if the 440 was originally mated to an automatic, you must bore the crankshaft for the pilot bushing to support mating to a 4 speed.

69hemibeep

Reaction score
Make sure the bearing retainer fits the bell housing hole

DTCMMLF

Reaction score
To add to 69hemibeep's comment. Attached photos of an adapter ring that will allow your small block bearing retainers outside diameter to fit the big block bell. Might be cheaper than a new bearing retainer. Not advertising for anyone, but Brewer's had this ring.

adapter ring on big block bell with small block caliper measurement..JPG

adapter ring.JPG

sm block bell opening.JPG

big and small block bells.JPG

69hemibeep

Reaction score
We are going to do a 4 speed conversion on my brothers Challenger small block and we got ahold of a big block trans with the large bearing retainer and Brewers machined his bell housing to fit. Great service.

71droptop

Reaction score
Hi, sounds like you know most of what needs done. When using a big block you can have a large clutch or small. A big block on a small block k frame requires special after market engine mounts and they are easily obtainable. I built my challenger with a 383 and a large 11" clutch that requires a large bell housing. All of the items that made up my power train I had acquired at a good price.

As you start to assemble your power train, things are going to add up. For you, it's what you want an can afford. These are things I think about as I compose a project.

I would even think about making a stronger small block, but that's just my 2 cents.

Have nice weekend and I'll watch this thread and see what you decide

Azmoparboy
I have swapped out a 318 w auto and installed a 440 with a 4spd. Besides welding in the torque shaft bracket and the 4 spd tunnel I used my 318 K frame w 440 motor mounts. No problem w fit. I always thought there were 3 K members. 6 cyl / V 8 / Hemi.
Anyone agree or disagree.

70Barracuda

Reaction score
Far as I know only one K frame. Mine is a 383 car, had a 340 4 speed in it, now back to 383 w same tranny w no issues. I did buy a BB scattershield and a 143 wheel. On the pilot bushing/bearing, go to jeep and get a roller. It fits in the larger first hole of the crank and works great.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have swapped out a 318 w auto and installed a 440 with a 4spd. Besides welding in the torque shaft bracket and the 4 spd tunnel I used my 318 K frame w 440 motor mounts. No problem w fit. I always thought there were 3 K members. 6 cyl / V 8 / Hemi.
Anyone agree or disagree.
Yes. There are 3 versions of the Ebody K-frame.

Devennyracing

Reaction score
Thanks all for the info. Couple more Q's.

Will any big block bell housing work? Does it have to be for an e body or will a b/c body one work?

Would a good 10.5 in clutch handle about 450-500 or would an 11in ne needed?

Mike

Daves69

Reaction score
A "good" 10-1/2" will handle it. This assumes a 130 tooth fly wheel with a bell that fits the retainer (trans) and has a suitable location of the ball stud for the bell crank to work properly.
The 440 balance is internal or external? It makes a difference for the flywheel.

Older but it provides good info from "back in the day". Plus it's free!
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/DC_ClutchTrans_Race_Bulletin.pdf

Back