• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Laying carpet

71Plym

Reaction score
I opened the box from Legendary Interiors with the new carpet for my 71 Cuda; I think the carpet is actually from ACC. The carpet was tightly rolled up and crammed into the box. It has more wrinkles than a prune and lots of flat spots in the pile. If the carpet was supposed to have some shape, it is gone now.

I rolled out the carpet and let it "relax" for 48 hours as per the instructions, but that did not help. I have tried laying the rear piece of carpet in the car and there are bumps and bulges everywhere.

Has anyone successfully installed new carpet? Any tricks to make it fit better? Laying the carpet in the sun to get more pliable won't work this time of year.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Laying it in the sun is the best way. But if it is cold that won't work as you know. Try putting it buy the fireplace or what ever heat sorce you have. Or you could try a hair dryer.

res1vw21

Reaction score
I have never received a carpet that bad, but try heating it then stretching it in the car. I have found that a soldering iron will melt through easily so you can put the seat belts and seats in to hold it down.

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
I have installed many carpets in cars. I've never got that bad of a carpet, but what i have done in the past is to steam with a steamer like you would a headliner. That has smoothed out some of the wrinkles for me. I don't own a steamer, but i know an upholstery guy and i have borrowed his.

six pack

Reaction score
Here is a copy of jeffaary's post on CCC.

For more info on this subject you can go to the thread on Moparts.com, although that is a long (and disturbing) thread to read. I'll save you some time, here is what Dave from ECS says the improvements over the existing carpets are:

"I will say AGAIN that we offer carpet that is basically the same as what you get from ACC EXCEPT:

Our toe pads are consistently placed in the same position with every set. The toe pad is no different than what you normally get, you are simply guaranteed that it will be positioned in the same place on the carpet. This is important due to the way the carpet fits against the console hump. One inch off and you will ALWAYS have an area that buckles or bunches up.

The manufacturer will NEVER let our products sit, scoot or rub on their manufacturing/warehouse floor. You wouldn't believe the dirt that will accumulate if this step does not take place. Of course if you have black carpet this won't be such a big deal. Black "absorbs" and hides the dark colored dirt it collects.

Our carpet is taken directly off the manufacturing line and stacked flat in our containers. We actually pay extra for this because the normal process of the manufacturing equipment (that rolls the carpet) has to be interrupted and the line rerouted. We then have it shipped to our facility where it is wrapped in bubble wrap (FLAT) and placed into a double corrugated 70"X34"X11" box. Frank Badalson was one of the first to take advantage of this process and he said it was perfect. He said it made it so much easier to work with and that this would be a major benefit for the hobby."

Here is a comparison shot of what is currently available versus the new ECS offering:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/4492415-good-badcarpet.jpg

Back