1. Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dismiss Notice

Leaf spring u bolts question

Steering / Suspension

1. Jim k

Jim k Well-Known Member

getting ready to reassemble the new Espo leafs to my rear end. The new ubolts barely slide over the axle tube but are to wide for the brackets ? About 1/2 inch. I assume they need to be squeezed together.

1F765E7D-A320-4C39-9FB8-BC88D816EF29.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  2. 704406

704406 Well-Known Member

Yes you are correct, if you can't do it by hand, use a large pair of pliers or a "c" clamp.
    Squeeze them together then tap down with a hammer. Be sure to torque the nuts to the proper spec and then recheck them after a short drive.

3. Jim k

Jim k Well-Known Member

Thanks. 1st time ever putting leaf springs on a car so wanted to double check.

4. rklein71

rklein71 Well-Known Member

Very interesting, I have never had to squeeze the u-bolts together.

5. Jim k

Jim k Well-Known Member

can’t believe what I did

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  6. Jim k

Jim k Well-Known Member

When you realize you just did something really dumb. Lol

64B27A6F-05E8-428E-A229-F799DC512B61.jpeg

7. aussiemark

aussiemark Well-Known Member

The u bolts are not correct they should just fit over the axle tubes and fit into the plates by hand. The axle tubes are spreading them as they are forced on that's why they don't line up and even when you tighten them they will not seat properly with the top of the axle tubes, have a look I bet there is a gap between the closed end of the u bolt and the axle tube.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 704406

704406 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I've done hundreds of suspension lifts in 4x4's and lots of suspension work on stock vehicles in my 42 year career as a vehicle tech. Many times when the "U" bolts are made they "spring" out a little bit at the threaded end, and usually can be squeezed by hand to fit thru the spring plate holes. I should have said if the u bolt fits the tube properly then squeeze them together. Ive watched dozens and dozens of u bolts get manufactured, it's done in a press around a preformed jig, there is some margin for error.
    I assumed that was the case in this instance, as Jim stated that the u bolt barely fit the housing, I should have asked for another picture to make sure before answering.

9. Jim k

Jim k Well-Known Member

the u bolts clear the axle tube without spreading the u bolt. you were correct in your first response 704406. they just need to be squeezed together a bit. aussie was replying to the post I edited because I realized what a dumb thing I did. had to laugh at myself. not even going to say what it was . lmao I was underneath the car painting and I am blaming it on the paint fumes. that's my story and im sticking to it.

10. 704406

704406 Well-Known Member

Glad you got it figured out. Thats all that matters in the end. Get your E body on the road and have some fun!

11. Jim k

Jim k Well-Known Member

I can’t wait to get it back on the road. It won’t be till next year though. ☹️