• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

LED Headlights

WinstonWolfe

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I’m looking for info and recommendations for converting to LED headlights. I plan on going on a pretty long road trip this summer, and the stock lights simply aren’t safe for driving in certain situations. The intent would be to find some really bright LED headlights that are as close to OEM-appearance as possible. No halo lights or anything like that. Please let me know if you have any experience, and thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Avalanche

Reaction score
Year one sold halogen lights which were much brighter than stock.
Don't know if they still sell them or not, but an option

70chall440

Reaction score
Something to think about, the LEDs are cool and do produce great light but if one goes out during your trip you might play hell trying to get a replacement on the road (and they do go out, especially the conversion bulbs). You might think about going with Halogen which you can get at any auto parts store. Not as bright and white as LED but time proven and when used with a good relay kit produce really good light.

I am talking about the bulbs (like a H1) verses a sealed beam; hell you could do headlights that take a bulb, put in the LED bulbs and carry some Halogen spares.

I did this conversion on my Cuda and Challenger (Halogen) and they are bright.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If you use a glass reflector which often take H4 bulbs , the Led lights generally use the same plug, if you can always insert a regular H4 bulb & plug it in until you can replace the LED .

Adam

Reaction score
Alternately, you could upgrade your existing headlight wiring to run off relays. The factory wiring, and headlight/dimmer switches were inadequate... they will probably still be inadequate with the new bulbs. This link explains the whys & hows.. very easy and worthwhile upgrade for much brighter lights.

Basic relay wiring for this, four terminals: 1. full power from batt; 2. Ground; 3. Existing wire from headlight switch (hi or low); 4. New wire to headlight.

Two relays are needed, one for the high beam circuit and one for the low. I did this mod and recommend it highly, it’s easy and cheap. You can use generic relays and wire from the auto parts store or wherever.. buy the relay kit with the connector/pigtail included. FYI, there are five terminal relays also. These can be used as well, just one of the wires is unused in this application.

I upgraded to ceramic headlight plugs just to simplify my wiring.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Headlight relays will definately help the amount of light produced & really are a must do upgrade to remove the load from the headlight switch & bulkhead plug

Rons340

Reaction score
You might check these out. They are a little pricey but caught my eye because they are low profile so they fit with no modifications, and customizable by being able to get different wattage bulbs, Glass lenses with or without grids, with or with out Halos. They seemed to look good. I included the link below

Dapper Lighting 575 (Set of 4 Headlights)

moparroy

Reaction score
Not installed yet - but I purchased Hella H4 halogen conversion lamps - plan to replace the H4 bulbs with LED bulbs - that H4 / LED bulb replacement I did on my '82 Goldwing a couple years ago and works great. One challenge is sealing the back if you drive in weather - their boots will work well with H4 bulb - LED fan will require a mod on the boot

Last edited:

moparroy

Reaction score
Looks like the power consumption on that is better than a std H4 but the LED is much lower still - and from another listing (oreillys) the H5006xv rated life is not near that of LED either. My main purposes were to reduce alternator load (on bike and Cuda) and increase bulb life on the Cuda

i_taz

Reaction score
Here's these H5006 Sylvania Xtravision headlights...
twice as bright as the Wagner's

Attachments

• IMG_20210924_193428348[1].jpg
    IMG_20210924_193428348[1].jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20210924_215754410_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20210924_215754410_HDR[1].jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
Back