• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

License Plate advice

SFEbody

Reaction score
Hey FEBO friends. So I finally ordered my 1970 correct California plates from CALPLATES.com

Can anyone tell me if it legal to use these even though not through the DMV? My regular plate are Black W/yellow script... Here is the new one just have to put the sticker tags on if consensus is they are acceptable.

0B0900BD-E615-4D79-BA8B-D4019EAB0E03.jpeg

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I wouldn't think it would be legal. The plate would look good and match your registration but cal plates tells you on there website it is just for show/decoration.

image.png

DrEamer

Reaction score
Unless your plates are issued by the state of California, and match your registration, then no. I would talk to someone at you department of motor vehicles to see if the some other guidelines for vintage vehicles though.

MrMoparCHP

Reaction score
Technically illegal but being a 70 and these are blue as a 70 would have had, then know body would know.
Keep the DMV issued plates in the trunk.

A friend of mine had some custom plates for a 70 Cuda that he use to have, sold the car kept the plates, years later, different car the plates were still in the system as available so he requested them, tossed the new plates and runs the originals.

Alan

Adam

Reaction score
SFEbody, your black plates may be correct. What is the build date on the door vin decal?
In the 60s a Ca plate was black and yellow; additionally the first letter corresponded to the year. A 1969 plate would have a Y or Z as the first letter. Many 1970 model year cars were sold in late 1969, before Jan 1970. My 70 Cuda was built in September 1969, for example. These cars would correctly have a black and yellow plate, if registered in 1969. Otherwise a correct 1970 blue and yellow plate would begin with an A or B as the first letter. C or D for 1971, and so on...

Last edited:

MrMoparCHP

Reaction score
SFEbody, your black plates may be correct. What is the build date on the door vin decal?
In the 60s a Ca plate was black and yellow; additionally the first letter corresponded to the year. A 1969 plate would have a Y or Z as the first letter. Many 1970 model year cars were sold in late 1969, before Jan 1970. My 70 Cuda was built in September 1969, for example. These cars would correctly have a black and yellow plate, if registered in 1969. Otherwise a correct 1970 blue and yellow plate would begin with an A or B as the first letter. C or D for 1971, and so on...
He probably has NEW legacy plates that are black with gold letters and wants the repo blue plates to look more authentic.

Yes it is possible to have an early 70 car with black plates but at that time there were no custom plates.

Alan

Adam

Reaction score
He probably has NEW legacy plates that are black with gold letters and wants the repo blue plates to look more authentic.

Yes it is possible to have an early 70 car with black plates but at that time there were no custom plates.

Alan
Yes, I agree completely. Btw, I am not a fan of the new legacy plates, they don’t fool real car guys.

moparleo

Reaction score
Everybody knows what the real answer is. It is not legal. Period. Use them at your own risk. You can only hope that if you do, you are pulled over by a fellow Mopar fan. No matter what you may be pulled over for, your plates and tags are the first thing that will be checked.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Do they make sure there is no other plate in Ca. with that name? If there is that could be a real problem. If a cop runs it you may have trouble. There is also scanners that read plates on the road and maybe meter maids have them to. There are some things you can get away with and other things may create a unreal situation.

SFEbody

Reaction score
So first, THANK YOU THANK YOU for all the feedback. For clarity, my BLACK/GOLD plates are custom reading: EBODY70, that is the registered tag. I had the BLUE/GOLD created exactly so if I did get pulled over, the blue plates are same as black and the stickers are on the rear plates for month & year. I am going to run the blue but will keep the black plates with me just in case. Again, thanks to everyone.

/sixchall

Reaction score
Brian, My ‘70 Challenger built Aug. 18, 69 out of LA originally came with the blue plates with gold lettering (766 AVV) I no longer have these on the car. I decided in the early 80’s, call me stupid, to get the new reflective white plates With dark blue lettering, and the California sun band along top, which are still on it. Not long ago I sprung for a cleared restored set of proper YOM plates. I called Cal DMV made an appt. to go in to an office and have these plates activated. I was told that the new YOM plates I bought could not be used out on the road, but could be placed on car for show or for cruises but had to be removed and replaced with the others. Whatever is on the cars Cal registration should be used legally. Thanks, Al

MrMoparCHP

Reaction score
Brian, My ‘70 Challenger built Aug. 18, 69 out of LA originally came with the blue plates with gold lettering (766 AVV) I no longer have these on the car. I decided in the early 80’s, call me stupid, to get the new reflective white plates With dark blue lettering, and the California sun band along top, which are still on it. Not long ago I sprung for a cleared restored set of proper YOM plates. I called Cal DMV made an appt. to go in to an office and have these plates activated. I was told that the new YOM plates I bought could not be used out on the road, but could be placed on car for show or for cruises but had to be removed and replaced with the others. Whatever is on the cars Cal registration should be used legally. Thanks, Al
California recently ammended the YOM program to include the blue plates,

Option 10.

A 1970 should have an A or B (ie 000-AAA or 000-BAA) as the first letter, maybe a C (I'd have to do the math)

Alan

SFEbody

Reaction score
Just to Clarify Mr MoparCHP, my vanity plated ( black & gold ) are " EBODY70" THE BLUE plate from Calplates.com are same "EBODY70"...htey are same only blue to Black..... do you think It is okay to drive on the blue plates that the # is assigned to my VIN?

MrMoparCHP

Reaction score
Just to Clarify Mr MoparCHP, my vanity plated ( black & gold ) are " EBODY70" THE BLUE plate from Calplates.com are same "EBODY70"...htey are same only blue to Black..... do you think It is okay to drive on the blue plates that the # is assigned to my VIN?
Yes, I was quoting a different member that had a different situation.

Alan

Back