• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Lokar Kickdown Cable Conversion Kit

cv70chall

Reaction score
Had the torque converter upgraded a few months ago and when I got the car back, the shifting was off. I spoke with the mechanic and he was unable to find the linkage bracket I had on originally so he replaced it with what turned out to be different. Because I have a Holley carb and Edelbrock Intake (which is higher) the geometry is off- and I can't get it adjusted right.
As of now, my 727 shifts out of 1st at about 10mph and I'm in 3rd literally around 20mph, which isn't right. Therefore, She sits in the garage until I get this fixed.
I decided not the mess with the assortment of rods and such- opting to purchase the cable kick-down conversion kit from Lokar.
Since this is not my forte- I am now hoping to find someone local who is experienced in installing this and setting it up properly- as I don't want to have a clutch burning session.
I'm in the West Palm Beach area, so if anyone knows someone they can personally recommend, I would greatly appreciate it.!

20190508_221717.jpg

20190508_221738.jpg

20190508_221712.jpg

20190508_221804.jpg

cv70chall

Reaction score
This was to show the intake (height) and incorrect bracket. (It is connected currently but still has the quick shifting issues)

Adam

Reaction score
I have used the Lokar kick down cable on a small block. It is a nice setup and easy to install and adjust. Go ahead and install the Lokar and adjust the slack out so the trans lever begins to move as soon as the throttle moves. If you want, or need, more you can just adjust a little more tension on the cable; it’s a lot like a cable shifter on a bicycle.

Use Blue loctite on the bracket and adjustment nuts after you dial it in; the cable stretches and you will have to re-adjust it in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I used the lokar kickdown cable on my 383/727, i just followed the instructions and it worked. My only issue was they don't make a carb linkage for my 850 holley track warrior so I had to fab my own. Just make sure the travel is good on the tranny side, that the lever doesn't hit the stopper to soon, it should be either really close to the stopper or just touching it at wot, if not then you may need a shorter/longer lever to get the ratio correct

SeahawkShawn

Reaction score
I used the lokar kickdown cable on my 383/727, i just followed the instructions and it worked. My only issue was they don't make a carb linkage for my 850 holley track warrior so I had to fab my own. Just make sure the travel is good on the tranny side, that the lever doesn't hit the stopper to soon, it should be either really close to the stopper or just touching it at wot, if not then you may need a shorter/longer lever to get the ratio correct
I'm faced with this right now and don't want to drill the 850's linkage tog et the fitting to work. Do you have a picture of your mod?

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I'm faced with this right now and don't want to drill the 850's linkage tog et the fitting to work. Do you have a picture of your mod?
My linkage on the carb is just a simple 1/8 piece of steel. The black bolts bolt too the carb, a #10-32 machine screw for the throttle cable. The notch/cutout is so I can adjust the Accelerator pump cam. The extra holes at the bottom are just holes that didn't work for the tranny kickdown cable. (only took me 3 trys to find the sweet spot). As you can see I used 1/2 of the lokar throttle cable bracket. The black piece is the part I made, the orange clamp is the factory hold down clamp. I do have plans to make a better throttle/kickdown cable bracket as the lokar version does flex a little bit.
20200609_000051.jpg

SeahawkShawn

Reaction score
My linkage on the carb is just a simple 1/8 piece of steel. The black bolts bolt too the carb, a #10-32 machine screw for the throttle cable. The notch/cutout is so I can adjust the Accelerator pump cam. The extra holes at the bottom are just holes that didn't work for the tranny kickdown cable. (only took me 3 trys to find the sweet spot). As you can see I used 1/2 of the lokar throttle cable bracket. The black piece is the part I made, the orange clamp is the factory hold down clamp. I do have plans to make a better throttle/kickdown cable bracket as the lokar version does flex a little bit.View attachment 72058

Thanks for the pic and details... You went the way we were thinking with the bracket on the carb. Will just have to make one and work it till its perfect.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The line pressure & governor settings inside the trans can make a huge difference in the way the trans shifts also .

Back