• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

low on amps

dave man

Reaction score
I have a 1970 challenger 340 with a rally dash. here's my delema the charging system seems to work fine, battery, alt, volt reg test ok body, eng and body ground good. At idle in gear, headlights dim, turn signals blink slower than normal, horn is week, radio turns off, engine wants to die. Here are soom things I've tried with out any luck; jumping direct from bat. to amp gadge, different ign. switch, cleaned all connections in bulk head Please HELP! can't drive after dark:( any suggestions appresated accecpt selling my car!

Rob C

Reaction score
Sounds like your RPM's are low at the stop light.
MoPar also sells a constant voltage rebulator that may help.

Other than that, what you could do is install a 100 amp Alt.
This may cause a burn out of the fuseable link. This happened to me in my (74) Duster. I replaced the link with a heavier gauge wire. The stock Amp gauge remained working though technicaly, you can fry it and cause a fire if it should "Peg" for some reason. (Broken volatage regulator, drained battery that gets jumped, a good working voltage regulator will peg the amp gauge for a short time until the battery is recharged.

Most people say by-pass the amp gauge in favor for a voltage gauge in most cases.

Back