• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Low Volume Electric Fuel Pump

wedg2go

Reaction score
I have been giving this some thought and decided to keep the carbs over going fi. Going with the fi system, for now, just isn't practical since my attention is needed elsewhere.

In keeping the carbs on my 440 six pack, I am beginning to become annoyed at the time it takes to turn the starter to the time it starts after my ride sits for a month (Love them vented carbs /end sarcasm).

I am toying with the idea of running a low volume electric fuel pump, in line with my mechanical pump, to juice up the carbs before cranking the starter for 15 seconds or more. Easier on my starter, my battery, my wallet for future replacements and will stop me from having to say, "Com'on baby, start!"

Good idea? Bad idea?

If it is a good idea, what in your opinion is a 'good' electric fuel pump for a 440 six pack with stage III Mopar performance heads that chomps fuel like there is no tomorrow? I haven't purchase, nor kept up, with what's out there since 1977 after I married a practical woman. *Ahem...*

If it is a bad idea, like restricting fuel flow if the electric pump craps out or anything else you can think of, I would sure like to hear about it from you.

Thanks in advance...

Adam

Reaction score
I run Holley electric pumps, no mechanical, on two of my vehicles, for this reason. The down side is they are noisy! and they can be a fire hazard... if you have a split line or hose they will pump/spray gas all over even with the engine off. I say run them, but inspect your hoses often... mice love to chew em.

Oh, and spend the money for a regulator. An electric pump, even rated for 7 psi, can push too much gas past the needle and seat causing a constant rich condition. I had one rated for 7 psi, no regulator. The car was always dumping gas; I rebuilt the carb twice with no improvement. I swapped on a new Demon carb, same thing... I put a fuel pressure gauge on it.... 11 psi! I plumbed in a regulator and problem solved.

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
I think running an electric pump with the mechanical pump is a bad idea because the electric pump will create a restriction that the mechanical pump will have to over come when the electric pump is switched off. Holley recommend wiring their pumps through an oil pressure switch so it only powers up when there is oil pressure. They also recommend a y junction in the fuel line and 2 filters side by side then another y junction back to a single line to reduce any restriction caused by a single filter. You could wire it to an oil pressure switch and have a booster switch to prime it before starting once primed switch off the booster and have the safety of the oil pressure switch.

Last edited:

wedg2go

Reaction score
Great ideas so far. Much appreciated.

Any recommendations about the fuel pump itself? I've heard stories about some brands that are replaced time and time again.

Adam

Reaction score
If you wire an electric pump to an oil pressure sender will it prime the carb and lines when there is no oil pressure, before you start cranking?

Edit: never mind, I just re-read the part about a booster switch. Btw, some of the old 1940s Dodge trucks like my Power Wagon and Carryall had mechanical fuel pumps with a little hand lever on the bottom of the diaphragm to manually prime the carb. (I am not suggesting it’s use in this situation, I just find it interesting).

Last edited:
Back