• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mechanical Fuel Pump issues

383RT

Reaction score
Anybody having any luck with new replacement mechanical fuel pumps? I just bought a Carter M4589 for my 383 and it’s pushing gas out the venturi’s. Put my fuel pressure gauge on the outlet and it’s reading 10 psi. Bought a Spectra replacement and it was doing the same thing, but it runs at 9 psi. Both companies claim the max. fuel pressure is 5 psi. I’m not seeing that. I had to install a fuel pressure regulator and dial it down to 5 psi. Now everything is working great and running great. I would like to get rid of the regulator though.

Adam

Reaction score
I had a carter, probably 20 years ago, that putout 11 psi at idle. It was over powering the needle and seat, causing a constant over-rich problem... now I always have at least a fuel pressure gauge near the carb, if not a regulator.

Cratos

Reaction score
what reg are you using?
I hope to be firing up soon, and have a stock pump and a gauge plumed in to the fuel block, and where did you mount the reg?

383RT

Reaction score
I had to find one in a hurry and the only local place that had one was Autozone. It’s a Spectre 2518 and I had to mount it in place of my fuel filter for now. I needed to get the car in storage and didn’t have a lot of options. I plan on researching it some more when I get my car back out of storage and put the filter back in it’s place.

Back