• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mecum Auction Slim pickens on E body Challengers

340challconvert

Reaction score
Mecum Auction Slim "pickens" on E body Challengers with mixed prices

1970 DODGE CHALLENGER R/T​

528 CI, 4-Speed sold $79,200​

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T | S69.2 | Houston 2022 | Mecum Auctions

1970 DODGE CHALLENGER R/T SE​

440 CI, Factory Air sold $41,800 383 converted to 440 sold low IMO​

1970 DODGE CHALLENGER​

440 CI, Automatic sold $61,600​

1973 DODGE CHALLENGER​

512/600 HP, Automatic sold $46,200​

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Yeah about that! mixed prices.,The market speaks.My opinion.Two way's to look at it.1 The prices seem about 10%-20% low. Have to inspect in person. The cars sold were a good bargain for the buyer. I don't see how you could find a body and parts + build it for that price. 2 The other side is that I see cars in need of total restoration and there asking half and better for what the cars are selling for. Are they selling or are they asking to much.Something a muck! the market speaks! Maybe it's in market adjustment?

budascuda

Reaction score
Something's amuck?
Yes......
A war is amuck!

a lot of changes are coming, people who buy these cars as an investment (not as a hobby) want to get out, hence the lower prices, those folks with original and or rare cars will stay put and firm.

Beekeeper

Reaction score
I disagree. I think certain cars (like all things e body barracuda) are becoming high value investments and Challengers are starting to become the red headed step children. There’s a guy on the forum having trouble selling his beautiful numbers matching 70 V code car right now and he’s only asking mid eighties.

Barracudas though are skyrocketing. Lately I’ve been fishing around about selling my barracuda drop top and every time I do that, I get absolutely bombarded with messages. Pretty decent offers too. How decent? Nearly double what I paid three years ago and everyone thought I overpaid then.

budascuda

Reaction score
It's not about matching numbers onlyl
those who buy them purely as an investment think it is.

Beekeeper

Reaction score
I think with the economy about to tank and inflation set to take off, people with cash want to park their money in something that won’t lose. Certain cars are safe bets over the long run. If you are willing to ride out an economic cycle, you’ll probably do well having it in a barracuda or second gen Charger. Numbers matching or not. The people I hear squawking the loudest over numbers matching are the purists who get their nose out of joint when the right textured paint isn’t used on a grille or dash trim. I don’t hear investors types saying it as much anymore. They want original appearance.

Think about all the times over the past thirty years where we car people were saying that this was it. That the cars simply couldn’t go any higher. That the investors would lose interest and values would go back to “normal.” Every five years, these cars hit new highs and we keep thinking it’s finally peaked. I don’t see that peak happening for at least 10 more years when us older guys who love them finally die off.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Sad day yes, but a happy day the same.
Younger guys will actually get a chance to own the expensive cars that have been hoarded by the older generation. Just sayin.

Beekeeper

Reaction score
I hope it works out that way. I think of the tri five chevys that our dads and grandpas loved. Those things don’t get nearly the money they once did yet people like me don’t have an interest in owning them at any price.

Id like to think the classic Challenger styling holds up better through the coming decades. Probably helps that Dodge resurrected the car and it’s been such a big hit with younger people.

budascuda

Reaction score
I hope it works out that way. I think of the tri five chevys that our dads and grandpas loved. Those things don’t get nearly the money they once did yet people like me don’t have an interest in owning them at any price.

Id like to think the classic Challenger styling holds up better through the coming decades. Probably helps that Dodge resurrected the car and it’s been such a big hit with younger people.

I agree, the challenger's styling is more refined and I think that's with forethought and intentional.

You take a Challenger to a wedding....
You take a cuda to a rock concert...
You take a Harley to the Sturgis

It depended on your life style, that was big in the seventies, it still is!

Back