1. Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mini Starter

Engine Issues

1. money pit

money pit Well-Known Member

Is it true a starter out of a 92 Dodge Dakota can be used in an older 340 or 360 LA engine?
    I was watching Garage Squad. They said this starter is a mini starter and can even be used in a big block. I heard there are two different starters for the Dakota. A short and a long body. Does anyone have a part number for the short version? Thanks

2. Cuda Hunter

Cuda Hunter Well-Known Member

I use them on my big blocks. Don't have a part number though.
    I just go to the parts store and get a mini starter for a dakota. works every time.

3. hellrats

hellrats Well-Known Member

Yes it true, they are all the same. The longer one just has a longer armature housing for more torque. They will all interchange. Go to pull-a-part. You can get one for about 20 bucks.

4. money pit

Thanks guys for the info.i installed the TTI exhaust with my stock manifold. There's not much room between the starter and head pipe.

5. /sixchall

/sixchall Well-Known Member

Not only does it work on most of your V8’s but also the good old Slant6. When I added headers to my Six in my ‘70 Challenger. Trying to get the old gear reduction starter off, even on the six. I had to snake it through the header pipes very carefully and weighing in at 15 lbs and hanging over a fender well.......but the mini weighing half the lb’s, it was a snap. I won’t go back, when you start up, no more of the distinguishing Chrysler starter sound. And lotsa torque. But hey, even a six. Thanks, Al

6. money pit

Did you use a starter from a Dakota? If so what year? Thanks

7. hellrats

hellrats Well-Known Member

Any year Dakota used it. Pick a 1995 with a 5.2 (318) It will fit. Even the V6 will work... all the same.

8. /sixchall

/sixchall Well-Known Member

I believe it was an early ninetys 318 starter for a Dakota. But it works. I took my old starter to parts house to get the correct length to mesh up with the ring gear on flywheel.