• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Missing Fender Tag...Now what do I do.

tomjan_coop

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.
I am just starting on my restoration and I do not have the fender tag from the car. I know a good deal of info is on that Tag and trying to figure out the details of the car. My dad is looking for it but will likely never find it. I do have all the original paperwork including the paper that was in the headliner (and under the carpet). Hoping that has all the right info on it. Is there something that can decipher this?

Title says 72 Dodge
My dad claims its an RT but not 100% sure that is correct.
Thanks.
Joe

IMG_8535 (1).jpg

tomjan_coop

Reaction score
I figured it was not an RT or a Rally. Too basic of a car with a 318. I am 99% sure I have the rally dash though. 7k tach, resets through the lenses and seat belt lamp on right side of benzel.

70chall440

Reaction score
Ok so the question why do you need the fender tag? Is this a complete restoration or something? You have Broadcast sheet (aka BS) that tells you everything the car came with, so there is that. If you just want to have a tag to have a tag, I get that but its not really necessary for the build.

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
Sounds like you can still get the tag reproduced

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
In 1970 and 1971 JS in the VIN = R/T, but for 1972 JS = Rallye.

rklein71

Reaction score
The broadcast sheet tells you everything the car came with and is more valuable a reference than the fender tag.

tomjan_coop

Reaction score
I don't need the fender tag I was just hoping the broadcast sheet had the correct info of the car. More for info about the car that I don't know. I am not doing an original 100% build so not too worried about the tag. I just wanted to see if the broadcast sheet had all the info on the car. I am new to these cars and don't know a lot about the different options and what the car actually has on it as far as options. I am learning a lot though reading on this site.

70chall440

Reaction score
Just in case you didn't get the answer, yes the BS has everything you need to know about the car and then some, in fact the BS is more thorough than a fender tag would be.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Cool then I am good.
Thanks for all the info!
Since you have the build (broadcast) sheet as previous folks have commented, it tells you everything about the car. An authentic fender tag can be made from it. Not all options are on the fender tag but the BS shows them all. Backeast did a fender tag for me 30 years ago from my 1969 Road Runner convertible's BS, and you almost can't tell that fender tag from a factory original. What you may encounter at car cruises and shows are some Mopar people will look for the fender tag and will ask you if your car is a real Rallye, has valid factory options, etc. At cruises I notice a lot of people check out the fender tag of my 1970 Challenger R/T convertible to see if it's real or a clone, has the correct engine, if the paint matches the code on the tag, etc. Your dash VIN plate will tell them that your car is a real Rallye 318. Galen Govier's book shows 1,853 Rallye 318 cars produced for U.S. production (no breakdown of transmission type). So if you're ok with possibly putting up with those people (some can be obnoxious about a fender tag not being present), a tag is not needed. It adds to the value of the car (documentation) if you ever sell it. Don't sell it! Just my 2 cents.

70chall440

Reaction score
Most of the people who look at the tag have no idea what they are looking at IMO they are just looking for a tag bc they know there should be one there. I've heard people say crazy things while looking at a tag at a show.

rklein71

Reaction score
I was fortunate to have the window sticker for my 69 383-s fastback Barracuda. The most comments I got from it at car shows was the sales price. Can’t tell you how many people offered me the sales price.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Most of the people who look at the tag have no idea what they are looking at IMO they are just looking for a tag bc they know there should be one there. I've heard people say crazy things while looking at a tag at a show.
I've heard people say crazy things too, lol!

JWILLI13

Reaction score
OK. from deciphering the VIN, you do have a 1972 Dodge Challenger "Rally" Car. The color is FY1 top and bottom (Top Bandanna), with a black vertical Stripe. your interior is Black. Bucket Seats (I believe). I believe you had a rally dash as well. AM Radio. sorry. That is the best I can do for now. It does not appear that this car had AC either.

Back