• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mopar 360 - Order Online or Not?

Ron-B-Cuda

Reaction score
Hi All, and happy Friday! I’m working on my 1971 Barracuda with a non-Matching 318. So, it’s time for an engine upgrade. Looking online, I’ve found several vendors with 360 long block engines / turn key. Problem is, looking at online reviews, each vendor has some serious negative reviews. So, I’m asking ya’ll if there’s a trust worthy vendor I can order a 360 from? I’m looking for around 400 HP. Thank you very much!
- Next week, I’ll be asking about 727transmissions and complete rearends :)

rogue

Reaction score
i considered that and decided against it due to the negative reviews... also asked here and got some votes against it. in the end i decided to get the 318 stroked out but the local shop i worked with had a 360 block they sold me for cheap and rebuilt (for not so cheap). I'd find a local 360 if you can

rklein71

Reaction score
I bought a supposedly good 5.9 magnum from my local mopar experienced machine shop for a few hundred bucks with the stipulation that it was in good shape, if not the shop would give me 250 credit on machine work to get it up to speed. Turns out the crank was junk and I ended up doing a 408 with it. So much for a cheap engine....

IMG_4666.JPG

340challconvert

Reaction score
Sometimes you are just better off getting a Local bone yard 360. Still plentiful and could provide you with a decent starting point that could be upgraded. I have browsed those rebuilt ads; expensive and getting an engine from another state kind of makes me nervous. It would be difficult to resolve any issues within that context.

Last edited:

Ralph

Reaction score
Try CME - carolina machine engines. They are really good and usually have some spare blocks around. i have had two engines built by them one of which they provided the date coded block.

gzig5

Reaction score
Blueprint engines does a couple different 408 strokers on Magnum blocks. Start at 375+HP for $5000 and come with a dyno sheet, and three year, 50,000 mile warranty. They seem to stand behind their products and participate in the Mopar forums as well. The reports I've seen show they dyno well over the advertised number.

Ron-B-Cuda

Reaction score
Good morning All, and happy Sunday! I appreciate everyone’s comments. I looked at Blue print engines ( I like the Dyno documentation), Carolina, and Indy Heds, and others.
- My neighbor, who’s a mechanic for the past 15+ years, and actually loves to work on my Barracuda, has a 1971 Dodge van with a 360. He wants to build it for my Barracuda. I just don’t want to destroy a very good relationship with him if the engine doesn’t work or breaks after a few days.
- I need to make the decision soon. I want the car perfect before June next year; her 50th birthday anniversary :)

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have no personal experience but Blueprint engines is a Mopar guy & hard to beat for price & warranty + dyno proven !

440rush

Reaction score
I have a Blueprint 493 for about 5 years now, so far so good.

Drivun

Reaction score
Hands down Id go for the Blueprint roller cammed Magnum. A Summit Racing tech visited their property and told me he was very impressed with their build quality. We have 35000 miles over 10 Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour Long Hauls on a BP roller cammed 383 Chevy in our El Camino - completely trouble free. Lastly seems a good value for 500 ft lbs of torque.

Bobzilla

Reaction score
Hi All, and happy Friday! I’m working on my 1971 Barracuda with a non-Matching 318. So, it’s time for an engine upgrade. Looking online, I’ve found several vendors with 360 long block engines / turn key. Problem is, looking at online reviews, each vendor has some serious negative reviews. So, I’m asking ya’ll if there’s a trust worthy vendor I can order a 360 from? I’m looking for around 400 HP. Thank you very much!
- Next week, I’ll be asking about 727transmissions and complete rearends :)

Blue Print Engines has a really good reputation on the ForAbodiesonly site. They have a thread in the vendors section too. It is worth reading through some of the posts to see how Johnny Mac helps out guys asking these same questions.
In my opinion, if you are not going to do the work yourself or you don't have a local machine shop that has a rock solid reputation, you are better off getting a Blue Print Engines crate motor. They have transmission packages as well, so it's one stop shopping. There are so many stories of guys getting poor quality work from shops they heard about somewhere, or their buddy suggested based on something they heard at a show. There are good shops out there, but if you don't have a relationship with one, a warranty from a highly recommended vendor is the next best thing.

BluePrint Engines

oldkimmer

Reaction score
Jonny MAC is a great guy that knows his stuff. He has been at Blue Print for a few years now. It sure won’t hurt to talk to him. Also their motors can come ready to run. Kim

Drivun

Reaction score
Further to my earlier endorsement of BluePrint engines, thought I’d share I’m once again putting my money where my mouth is. Just bought a new 5.0 for my 83 Mustang GT from BluePrint. Good value for quality build.

Ron-B-Cuda

Reaction score
So what’s the verdict? Kim

Hi All, sorry for the very slow response. Life keeps happening. Verdict? I transferred the necessary funds to my CC last week, now I just need to call and place the order with Blue Print Engines. I’m going with the 375HP engine; I’m getting old, and that’s enough. I’m also replacing the Thrush glass paks with Magnaflows (I know: if it’s too loud, you’re too old). I’ll post when the order is completed. Thanks again, everyone for you’re assistance.

Ron-B-Cuda

Reaction score
Good morning All, Yesterday, I called Johnny Mac at Blue Print Engines. I ordered the 408/375 engine with 727 Trans. He was easy to talk with and helped with the order. Oh, I also told him that ya'll (For E-Bodies only) spoke very highly of him and that's what convinced me to order from him.

Back