• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mopar 426 Block for sale

Fordication

Reaction score
I see these blocks for sale on a few sites. Are these the hemi blocks from days gone by that have been repoped? Can you put a set of hemi heads on them?

heminut

Reaction score
That's not a hemi block, I believe there is a water jacket issue with putting hemi heads on a wedge block. I'm sure one of the 426 hemi gurus will chime in on this.

gzig5

Reaction score
The 413, 426, and 440 wedge blocks use the same family of heads. They are regular style heads. You can use old ones from a junkyard or new aluminum ones from aftermarket. There were special racing heads called Max Wedge that can be had too. The gen 2 Hemi used a specific block and specific hemispherical chamber heads.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The Hemi blocks are very similar but use bosses for the upper row of head bolts that are torque from below & notchs for the exhaust pushrods in the upper deck + the use a unique engine mounting on the lower block to the K frame which is also unique .

Fordication

Reaction score
The 413, 426, and 440 wedge blocks use the same family of heads. They are regular style heads. You can use old ones from a junkyard or new aluminum ones from aftermarket. There were special racing heads called Max Wedge that can be had too. The gen 2 Hemi used a specific block and specific hemispherical chamber heads.
Now I am more confused. Is this a Gen 2 block or Gen 3? It is so strange how everything on the internet about mopars is so secretive and hard to find whereas the Ford people fall all over themselves with videos and documents. I do find that mopar parts are cheaper than ford though. That I am grateful for.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
There are 3 Hemi blocks basically
Gen 1 was the 52-58 blocks in 14 different sizes used by DeSoto ,Dodge & Chrysler
Gen 2 is the 426 block from 64-71 & still the basic block used in Top Fuel
Gen 3 is the latest series currently used in a variety of displacements .
The Wedge blocks which are similar to the Gen 2 used from 58-78 are what you are looking at . They come in 2 versions , B & RB or low deck & high deck & again a number of displacements .

Fordication

Reaction score
There are 3 Hemi blocks basically
Gen 1 was the 52-58 blocks in 14 different sizes used by DeSoto ,Dodge & Chrysler
Gen 2 is the 426 block from 64-71 & still the basic block used in Top Fuel
Gen 3 is the latest series currently used in a variety of displacements .
The Wedge blocks which are similar to the Gen 2 used from 58-78 are what you are looking at . They come in 2 versions , B & RB or low deck & high deck & again a number of displacements .
So the difference being was the hemi head placed on the 426? Does anyone make that head anymore?

gzig5

Reaction score
So the difference being was the hemi head placed on the 426? Does anyone make that head anymore?
Google is your friend. There are many sources.

I'm not sure how you think Ford parts are more expensive than Mopar stuff. I've never heard anyone suggest that. Wait till you start buying Gen 2 Hemi parts...

Daves69

Reaction score
A 426 wedge block is different from a 426 hemi.

A 440 wedge and 426 wedge are similar. Check this video on differences between the hemi and wedge.........

Fordication

Reaction score
Google is your friend. There are many sources.

I'm not sure how you think Ford parts are more expensive than Mopar stuff. I've never heard anyone suggest that. Wait till you start buying Gen 2 Hemi parts...
A console for a mustang is over 600, a console for a mopar is 300. A door panel for a mustang, just one starts at 600, the challenger you get 2 for 549. You cannot find an A pillar repop for a mustang. Mopar 149. In fact most of the mustang does not have repop so you have to buy it used and it cost a fortune. Engines are cheap but rebuilding a 440 or 383 mopar cost the same as rebuilding a 351C. Mopar is much cheaper and has mostly every part you need to put a car back together. It is tough reading thru the materials though.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
First time I have ever heard/read that ford's are more expensive.
I'm actually glad to read that. Interesting that the interior parts are so much more expensive. All due to no aftermarket reproductions.

Fordication

Reaction score
First time I have ever heard/read that ford's are more expensive.
I'm actually glad to read that. Interesting that the interior parts are so much more expensive. All due to no aftermarket reproductions.
I think its more due to the fact that mopar has a cult following and chrysler released he original molds to reproduce more items. Ford is a bung hole and even shut down a few parts dealers that simulated the ford name or logo. Thats why Blue Oval shut down. Ford sued them.

fasjac

Reaction score
Now I am more confused. Is this a Gen 2 block or Gen 3? It is so strange how everything on the internet about mopars is so secretive and hard to find whereas the Ford people fall all over themselves with videos and documents. I do find that mopar parts are cheaper than ford though. That I am grateful for.
I’m reading but….I’ve never found Ford parts to be more expensive than Mopar. Had them all and Mopar always seem more costly practically on everything. JMO

Fordication

Reaction score
I’m reading but….I’ve never found Ford parts to be more expensive than Mopar. Had them all and Mopar always seem more costly practically on everything. JMO
I live in Houston. We have more classic cars than most states combined. We also have more professional engine builders who rebuild at a fair price. Same with transmissions. Try pricing a 90s ford transmission in comparison. They are 3 to 4 times more expensive. I have rebuilt everything there is and GM by far is the cheapest. Based on what I am looking at on the online stores Mopar is second and Ford is third. Do not get me started on Mercury.

Back