• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mopar Performance Alternator 1 wire issue????

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I talked with Mancini about this question and also brang it up on the a body site but still confused.
My 71 Challenger has a 2 field wire with external regulator setup. I want to purchase this 1 wire alternator that has an internal VR and Mancini says, all I need to do is bypass the external VR and it will work.
My question is weather that would cause any other issues. I am using MSD to power the distributor.
I only have 1 more day to purchase this alternator at a discount but dont want to have all kinds of issues when I install it. The main reason I want it is because its black. They dont have a 2 wire in black.
Anyone else do this?

Screenshot_20210212-181709.png

Screenshot_20210212-181728.png

rogue

Reaction score
i'm running one wire alternators in my challenger (stroked 360) and cuda (340), both have MSD ignitions and i removed all the stock 2 field wiring and cleaned it up nicely. Works like a champ with no problems.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
i'm running one wire alternators in my challenger (stroked 360) and cuda (340), both have MSD ignitions and i removed all the stock 2 field wiring and cleaned it up nicely. Works like a champ with no problems.
Are you using this alternator with the internal regulator or just a regular 1 wire alternator?

rogue

Reaction score
both are internally regulated... the only wire off the alternator is main power

NoCar340

Reaction score
Generally speaking, a 1-wire alternator only has, well, one wire--the main power cable to the battery via the starter relay--and no field wires whatsoever. The Mancini piece looks like a two-field-wire alternator modified to work with the '69 & older point-type voltage regulator (single field wire). Based on their statement to "bypass" the stock regulator (and not "eliminate" it) my guess is that the field wire connects to 12V+, but no way would I purchase it on such an assumption and attempt it. It might simply get left open, or it might need to be grounded. They should really have a wiring diagram on the page with it.

Make sure you upgrade your alternator-to-battery wiring to 8 gauge and bypass your factory ammeter entirely at the engine side of the bulkhead disconnect while doing so. Otherwise, should a time come when that thing outputs its full 110A (like an internal VR short) ****'s gonna get really hot, really fast. You'll want to have a fire extinguisher handy. It's not likely, but it's entirely possible. The stock wiring and ammeter can only handle about 65A in short bursts and is much happier below 50A of constant draw.

rogue

Reaction score
yeah, what NoCar340 said... 1 wire - the main power wire to the starter via the relay... no field wires at all. I would not buy that alternator without talking with Mancini first to make sure you understand the options... it says "one wire capable" but as NoCar340 points out .... is that one field wire or only one wire which is the main power. If you're looking for black one wire alternators there are other options such as this one that i run in my cuda:

gaddy 69

Reaction score
hi,im looking in to changing mine over but don't know much about it you have any pics

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I talked to Mancini Racing and all you have to do is disconnect the field wires along with the voltage regulator. Also have to bypass the stock ammeter gauge. Run 8 gauge directly from the alternator to the battery and thats it.

Back