• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mustang brakes on E-body

gzig5

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a big brake kit from an 2005-2014 mustang onto the front of an Ebody? Ran across a lightly used set of StopTech ST40 calipers and one piece rotors for a good price. The bolt pattern is same, but I'm not sure the rotor offset is compatible. If it's been done and can work I would pick them up. All I'd need to complete it is the bearing hubs and to make brackets. Looks like this one in the link but with one piece rotors. I'm assuming it can be done because Dr Diff has the 13" Cobra kit, but I'm not familiar with all the details.

DrEamer

Reaction score
The Dr Diff kit is based on using 1994-2004 Mustang Cobra parts. So, it's not the same as the newer Mustangs. I seem to recall different people wanting to use the new Mustang parts, but have not seen a formal kit made by anyone. As for myself, I would like to see it also.

70chall440

Reaction score
There is a guy on Dodgecharger.com that was developing a kit to exactly this on B bodies which would transfer to an E body.

gzig5

Reaction score
I was hoping to use my 73 disk spindles because I believe they are stronger and use bigger bearings? I am going to be autocrossing and events at Road America and don't want any deflection. Maybe is it a moot point, but they made them bigger for a reason later? So to use disk spindles I need to come up with a hub. Dr Diff won't sell his seperately last time I asked, but maybe Wilwood or someone will. Otherwise I'll have to figure out the bearing spacing and cut them on my lathe. Cutting the braking surface off a stock disk rotor is an option but that's a lot heavier than the aftermarket aluminum bearing hubs.
I do happen to have a complete set of 70 drum brakes that I could use the spindle and drum hubs from.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Here is a Youtube video from the guy you listed. He has a Facebook page to contact him to maybe see if he still makes the kit.

gzig5

Reaction score
I'm able to make my own mounts and such, I was just concerned if it had been done with this selection of parts. Looks like I can get Wilwood hubs if I need to for the 73+ spindles, and they give a lot of dimensions so with the spindle I have, I should be able get some measurements and figure it out. I also have a set of 355mm rotors and calipers from a BMW E39 M5 that might work too. Should be a good winter project when it is too cold for bodywork.

70chall440

Reaction score
If you can make mounts than what brake caliper to use it wide open because you can make hubs using what your car already has. If it has discs, then you put the rotor into a brake lathe (or conventional lathe) and cut off the rotor and you will have a hub. If you have drums, you can remove the drum part leaving you with a hub. So, doing this means that you do not need new spindles or hubs, use what you have. After that you need to decide what size rotor and caliper you want to use, then make the mounts to position the caliper where it needs to be and you are there.

gzig5

Reaction score
If you can make mounts than what brake caliper to use it wide open because you can make hubs using what your car already has. If it has discs, then you put the rotor into a brake lathe (or conventional lathe) and cut off the rotor and you will have a hub. If you have drums, you can remove the drum part leaving you with a hub. So, doing this means that you do not need new spindles or hubs, use what you have. After that you need to decide what size rotor and caliper you want to use, then make the mounts to position the caliper where it needs to be and you are there.
I have both disk and drum spindles and drums/rotors on hand at the moment. It will come down to which rotor design has the correct hat offset to work with whatever caliper I choose. I may not be able to get the mustang stuff after all, which is too bad because it was really cheap. But I have a lot of time to plan. The car is totally blown apart and we have long winters here.

70chall440

Reaction score
The offset will or can be addressed with the rotor hat. I used Wilwood rotor hats and rotors and you can select the offset there. If you are going to try and use stock stuff (like what comes on a Mustang) then you would need to get some and mock them up and see where you are. I will be doing this on my Charger and RR.

70chall440

Reaction score
Here is a Youtube video from the guy you listed. He has a Facebook page to contact him to maybe see if he still makes the kit.

This is basically what can be done, it isn't super difficult. That said, make sure you put the caliper in the right orientation with the bleeder on top.

Back