• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

My experience with Stinger Fiberglass

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I'm envious. My hood looks like it would have been a quality product if it hadn't been banged around and incorrectly repaired. Really the most disappointing part of all this is the poor customer service.

70chall440

Reaction score
It always sucks to spend good money for a product that is substandard. I would blow their phone up until I got someone in management.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I’ve been in direct contact with the owner. Here is our last correspondence:

fullsizeoutput_e31.jpeg

70chall440

Reaction score
So you are saying that you ordered this, it showed up in bad condition and that Stinger just told you to F off? Based on the posted comments, it seems like there was some back and forth, what was their initial reaction when you complained?

I am not supporting Stinger but it seems like there is more to this story.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I totally get it, and they do deserve to be defended, especially when they're not here to tell their side of the story. This is long, but important to read.

There's definitely more involved, but I'll try to sum it up. I bought the hood from their website, and it arrived shipped LTL. I helped the driver unload and signed, and he went on his way. I didn't know I was supposed to inspect the product before signing with LTL freight - lesson learned. When I opened the box, I noticed very little packing, just two cardboard "corners" stapled to the box to keep the hood in place during shipping. One of the corners let loose and the hood traveled around in the box during transit, resulting in a chipped corner. I called the freight company, they advised to contact Stinger. Stinger asked for pictures and said they'd reach out once it was on the owner's desk. Up to this point, I was pretty happy with how they were handling it.

The owner called pretty quickly after I sent the pictures. He noted that the chip was pretty small, and he was right (about 1" of the corner). He said an auto body shop might not even take a job that small, and suggested I make the repair myself. His argument was pretty convincing, so I agreed. After looking at the hood more closely, I noticed another chipped corner and pretty shoddy work at the cutout for the scoop. At this point I had started the thread on FABO. Not because I wanted to call them out, but simply because I was disappointed at the condition of a brand new hood I bought.

I recontacted Stinger to ask for some compensation for the repairs, no reply. Granted, it was over the Christmas and New Year holidays, but there was sufficient time between and after for them to get back to me. During this time, the FABO thread had gotten pretty "colorful," some might say offensive towards Stinger. I posted my experience in a Google review, and after a few days they replied, but still no reply to my email requests. I sent yet another email and they finally replied, saying I could return the hood at my expense, and if they found no defects, I would not get credit for the hood. I also found one of the corners of the hood had been repaired, but the contour didn't match the contours of the fender. They disagreed and said I could used bumper stops, etc., to correct the problem.
fullsizeoutput_e23.jpeg

I again asked for them to cover the costs of repair. They refused, over and over mentioning the FABO thread and how I personally attacked them and that they couldn't forget that.

So, I'm not without sin in this case. I should've kept my stupid mouth shut and not make jokes online, but I also feel it shouldn't have gotten to that point in the first place.

70chall440

Reaction score
Well I guess I can kind of see both sides, on the one hand you received a damaged product which I know sucks but it does say right on the box and I believe the invoice to check the product before signing for it (At least mine did several years ago and that is exactly what I did). On the other hand you did go online and trash them or at least open the door for this to happen which does cost them money, so I am sure they were less than pleased and not much in a mood to do anything for you.

All this said, it is fiberglass and therefore can be fixed. Yes it sucks but at this point you don't have a lot of options other than get another one from someplace else (Despite your feelings and experience, Stinger does make the best one IMO), don't use it and sell it off or fix it.

The picture you posted shows a raised corner however how does it line up with the rest of that fender? If it is just this corner you may be able to reform or relax it slightly with some wood and clamps and perhaps some heat (not like a torch, more like a heat gun on low). Chips and such are generally relatively easy fixes with some fiberglass resin and perhaps some mat depending on the size.

I don't know if you have any boat repair places around or perhaps a Corvette specialty shop but either can give you advice and/or fix it for you. Again, I know this is not optimal but crap happens. When you slam a vendor/company online or open the door to do so, especially a small after market auto company, it is not going to go unnoticed. Someone like FCA or GM wouldn't give a crap but a small company in the current economic climate is fighting for survival. Just to be clear, I am not at all condoning their actions, regardless of what you did they should try and work with you BUT this is exactly why they want you to inspect it before signing for it. Live and learn brother, we all have been there.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar! You know or now know. Also posting for other to know. Sorry to say I think this part is on you. Supposed to inspect the product before signing with LTL freight. Reason if damaged it falls back on shipping company. Shipper contacts company for insurance claim. Exercise your right for insurance receiving and shipping. Last item I have received damaged items. TCP Global shipped paint UPS. Took pictures and send to TCP Global.The next day Another gallon was on the way. ///Now that being said.The damage cold have happened while being packed or between trucks.Yes I agree the corner should have been protected more.The manufacture has to come to terms if there is a problem.With packing or labeling ( fragile,do not stack,top load only.) It becomes shipping co reasonably.

20200825_104136.jpg

20200825_104247.jpg

Last edited:

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
You guys are both right. I should've inspected the hood, but this was my first LTL delivery and didn't know I was supposed to do that. Yes, it does say on the box to inspect, but it's a huge box and it's not a habit of mine to read all the labels on a package while the driver waits. That being said, I understand how the chipped corners are on me, but the defective corner could only be noticed once the hood is installed for test fit. That's on them, and then to tell me I need to pay return shipping AND if they saw no defects, I would not get credit for the hood? That's absurd.

This has been a huge lesson learned. I guess I've just had such great luck with my USPS, FedEx, and UPS drivers that I've become complacent, but I know now for the future to pay a little more attention to detail.

I work with a guy who has a side job at a shop that does body and paint for boats, so I think I'll reach out to him and see what he thinks.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
As Paul Harvey would say: Now For The Rest of The story.Does this show my age? \\\\I would contact manufacture to refresh contact on a good note for credit card info,or how you paid for it. Credit card co want's emails and pictures. confirm there policy on returns.Defective or damaged. I would focus on the defective hood issue. damage secondary.Take pictures different angles, of original hood installed.pictures of another hood installed fit and finish.(friends beg barrow or steal)Have a body shop look and give estiment or deny install. Hood to bad to line up. This way you have a sound comparison to it being defective. The glass hoods were never perfect and if they were.not for long.BUT not that bad! You used a credit company Right?

Last edited:

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar! You know or now know. Also posting for other to know. Sorry to say I think this part is on you. Supposed to inspect the product before signing with LTL freight. Reason if damaged it falls back on shipping company. Shipper contacts company for insurance claim. Exercise your right for insurance receiving and shipping. Last item I have received damaged items. TCP Global shipped paint UPS. Took pictures and send to TCP Global.The next day Another gallon was on the way. ///Now that being said.The damage cold have happened while being packed or between trucks.Yes I agree the corner should have been protected more.The manufacture has to come to terms if there is a problem.With packing or labeling ( fragile,do not stack,top load only.) It becomes shipping co reasonably.

View attachment 89842

View attachment 89843
That must've made quite a mess in the delivery truck, too! I'm sure the driver wasn't too happy.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
As Paul Harvey would say: Now For The Rest of The story.Does this show my age? \\\\I would contact manufacture to refresh contact on a good note for credit card info,or how you paid for it. Credit card co want's emails and pictures. confirm there policy on returns.Defective or damaged. I would focus on the defective hood issue. damage secondary.Take pictures different angles, of original hood installed.pictures of another hood installed fit and finish.(friends beg barrow or steal)Have a body shop look and give estiment or deny install. Hood to bad to line up. This way you have a sound comparison to it being defective. The glass hoods were never perfect and if they were.not for long.BUT not that bad! You used a credit company Right?
I'm quite certain the bridge has been burned between me and the manufacturer, and that's okay. Are you saying the credit card company could possibly offer reimbursement? I've never done that.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
That must've made quite a mess in the delivery truck, too! I'm sure the driver wasn't too happy.
Actuality The box contained most of the spill.Only the little wet corner is all there was. Opened the box .S.O.B. Put the project back a week. At least I didn't spend another $250+.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I'm quite certain the bridge has been burned between me and the manufacturer, and that's okay. Are you saying the credit card company could possibly offer reimbursement? I've never done that.
I'm saying it is defective product. They will get you money back. you show it's defective. At that point manufacture will pay for shipping or offer to refund to make it work.A defective product is not what you ordered.You and others tried you best to make it work.With out modifying it. This is time sensitive!

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Yes, the rest of the hood lines up great. The corner that's off has clearly been repaired, because that area has a matte finish and has inconsistent thicknesses. I'll contact the card company I used to see what their policy is.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Credit companies want you to show that you tried with due diligence to resole the issue. Phone calls emails who when. You tried to make it work and how it's defective.

Last edited:
Back