• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need a Mopar Guru! Block stamp question...

440-6pack

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1971 Challenger RT 440 built on April 6th, 1971 and looking for a date code correct motor.

I found one that has a casting number on the side October 22, 1970. The top plate is stamped G440, 12 7 HP.

My question:

#1) Is this engine built on December 7, 1970?
or
#2) Is this engine built on December 7, 1971?

Last edited:

440-6pack

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the stamp

C8FF598C-B5EB-4CF8-909D-58931B44C757.jpeg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Most blocks were used approx 3 months after casting & the G stamp confirms it was built for use in a a 71 car

440-6pack

Reaction score
Thanks, but do you believe it was built in December of 1970 or December of 1971?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
if it was built in Dec 71 the 72 cars were already in production so it would be stamped H not G
so it had to be built in Dec 70 for the G or 71 production cars

440-6pack

Reaction score
Super, in your opinion would it make sense that a engine built in December of 1970 would have been installed in a car with an April 6th production date or is the gap too big? I’ll be investing a lot of money in building and engine, I want to make sure I find a block that has the closest date possible.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Should be an actual date cast in the block . Drivers side above where 440 is cast in the block.

440-6pack

Reaction score
Hi RBBrun03, yes, the cast date is Oct 22,1970, which is good. However the stamp date is December 7,1970. I just want to confirm that the plant would have actually built and engine for a car 4 months in advance or if the build date should be a few weeks before the build date of the car, which is April 6th 1971.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
This is my opinion only so you can take it with a grain of salt but if I was looking at buying your car it would make absolutely no difference if the block was a 78 casting motorhome block , there is only 1 block that belongs in your car & it is gone apparently , any other block has the wrong VIN stamping so why waste the time & money to look for a "date correct" block , to me it would have more value if it was a -1 casting likely having less core shift

Steve340

Reaction score
I agree with Chryco the original engine is gone and if that one can be rebuilt I would call that close enough.
You could search the earth and not find a rebuildable block with anything closer stamping wise.

440-6pack

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I’m still learning. I’m not in a hurry to get a new engine or rebuild one. And I’ve had lots of people respond to my ad since I’ve been searching for 71 Block. I just thought if it would increase the value a bit more that I would wait for one to pop up…I appreciate everyone’s advice. Thank you

shakerjoe

Reaction score
My ‘71 V code cuda, built 5/26/71, G 440 1 8 HP, block casting 7/30/69 with the vin on the pad...the G actually is super imposed over a F for 70...must’ve been already built for a ‘70 car awaiting install and never got used, then when my car was built and a motor was needed, G was stamped over F and vin was assigned, trans is good with vin also

FB5460E5-0B5F-4D00-8298-A022588FDD3F.jpeg

gpm6367

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I’m still learning. I’m not in a hurry to get a new engine or rebuild one. And I’ve had lots of people respond to my ad since I’ve been searching for 71 Block. I just thought if it would increase the value a bit more that I would wait for one to pop up…I appreciate everyone’s advice. Thank you

I completely understand your desire to have a correct casting and date on the motor in your car. It’s all a matter of personal preference and I do believe that a car with a “correct” or restoration motor, though not original, it’s still worth more than one without.

I cannot tell you about Mopar specific production time frames but I believe that the generally excepted rule for most vehicles is a casting and assembly date within six months of vehicle assembly. That standard was established by the NCRS decades ago and still stands. That said, if that motor was assembled in December 1971 and your vehicle April 1972 I don’t see why the numbers don’t lineup. Would February be preferred? Sure, but if you can get a decent deal on that motor I wouldn’t be afraid to use it. JMHO

440-6pack

Reaction score
Hey guys,

i have another question unrelated to the engine. I found an original aluminum bellhousing. Just wondering if it is suppose to be bare aluminum finish or painted Hemi orange like the engine..?

moparlee

Reaction score
Hey guys,

i have another question unrelated to the engine. I found an original aluminum bellhousing. Just wondering if it is suppose to be bare aluminum finish or painted Hemi orange like the engine..?
The bell housings were bolted to the engine when the engine was painted but the factory just put an over spray on them. So got more, some got less. If you are not worried about concourse correct, just paint the entire thing for protection.

Back