• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need advice on a power steering gearbox...

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking for advice on where to purchase a quality power steering gearbox for a 70 Challenger that has a small block engine. I'm frustrated because I have a "remanufactured" power steering gearbox installed with less than 6000 miles on it. Over the weekend the pitman arm seal failed leaking a steady stream of oil. Needless to say, changing the power steering gearbox is not a five minute job. Looking for recommendations on where to purchase quality parts.

Thanks in advance,

Tirekickertoo

tonysrt

Reaction score
You'll be wise to look into the Borgenson box. I had a reman box with firm feel, but believe me nothing compares to the Borgenson. I've had it on my 71 Cuda and have forgotten how sloppy the old boxes were till I got a 74 Duster. Will change to the Borgenson in the Duster as soon as I can afford it.

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Thank you DrEamer and tonysrt for the reply's. I' am interested in the Borgeson steering gear box. Initial reading says I have to cut the steering wheel shaft? Can anyone share their experience with installing this type of gearbox. Are there additional adapters to buy or special power steering pressure and return hoses to use? I believe there are options. What does everyone recommend?

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

tonysrt

Reaction score
Contact Bergman, in Huntington, NY, directly and he can tell you exactly what you need to get it installed with all the correct parts. I know it's a little pricey, but worth it when you're done.

Back