• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need ATF recommendation for my 904

Tom Frost

Reaction score
Just rebuilt 904 with shift kit and 2300 stall behind new 360 Magnum (350 hp).
Do you guys recommend Dextron III?

tonysrt

Reaction score
Most older trannys like Type F fluid. That's what my guy recommended.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I run 1 quart of straight 30 non detergent motor oil and the rest type F transmission fluid. It puts viscosity where it should be.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Chrysler's race-oriented engineers have recommended Type F for performance use since before even Direct Connection existed. No Dex, no motor oil, no additives. Trust the guys that designed the transmission.

moparleo

Reaction score
A 904 with a shift kit is not a racing transmission, so why do you guys recommend that type of fluid?
Like you guys are saying , Way back when... New rebuild, new clutches and seals. I am surprised that the parts manufacturer didn't specify the fluid to use. Doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't. Or are just feeling the guys out on their personal preferences ? If you asked that question today they most likely would say ATF=4 or the equivalent. Type F was never a factory fluid for Mopar. An 'old' racing recommendation for more bite but not for long life.
Read the following article for a little more info.
15 Tips to Improve Your 727 Torqueflite Trans!

moparman31

Reaction score
No Dex 3 is a GM fluid and type F is a Ford fluid. Use ATF+4. The racing community replaces all the fluids in both GM and Chrysler with ATF+4. The problem with Type F is the fluid has a high flash point which causes harsh shifts in anything except C4 and C6 trannies

Back