• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need Help/Advice . . .

Caramon311

Reaction score
I still have a lot to learn, so could use some knowledgeable insight from the group. For the last month or so I have needed to drive like an old lady in my 1970 Challenger. I am by no means a
"speed demon" but if I press the accelerator more than 1/3 -1/2 way to the floor there is a single metallic -chink- and the car will slow down for a moment almost as if I hit the brakes, and will then start speeding back up. The car has a 383 and an automatic (slapstick?) transmission. I'm not sure if that would be something caused by the engine, transmission, electrical system, or even the throttle transmission lever/linkage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Check your accerator pump on the carb. Maybe it causes the hesitation which causes something else to make the noise.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
You explained it pretty good but still tough to diagnose without more info. Maybe a video with good audio.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Post a pic of your linkage to the carb. Maybe something is hanging up.

tonysrt

Reaction score
It could also be weak fuel pump not being able to supply enough fuel. Also make sure fuel filter is not clogged.

74 challenger

Reaction score
pressing gas hard or slow, how long have you had the car? did you change anything?what do you call a moment? did you check vac lines. need more info

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
For my situation the throttle/tranny linkage was jaming against the underside of my air filter baseplate. A simple 1/2 inch spacer between carb and baseplate fixed it. The issue happened due to the eddy rpm intake is higher then stock, which angled the throttle lingage enough to touch the baseplate. It felt like under light cruse the peddal would get stuck. Hopefully you have a easy fix too

Back