• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need help in solving PS problem Please. '70 barracuda

retro70

Reaction score
Took the '70 barracuda out for her maiden 2020 voyage two weeks ago and 1/4 mile from the home the return line popped off the gear box and of course fluid went all over and boy was it hard to steer and get it home. I
1. replaced the return line with new line
2. refilled the pump
3. bled the PS system (lock to lock three times while filling the reservoir)

seemed to be okay at that time. Yesterday took it out and did not even get to the road and fluid seemed to overflow out the hole in the cap of the reservoir ( I Think ) because fluid is all over the engine bay again and again no PS. Before I tear into this and start buying a complete PS system, just wanted to know if there was any way I could check the steering gear while it is in the car. Could something have happened to it the first time the fluid blew out from the hose? Any guidance would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.......Dennis

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Sounds like a pressure valve inside the steering box is sticking , it might loosen up with some additive & cycling it .
I would contact Steer & Gear or Firm feel as they understand these steering boxes fully as to what the problem / fix is .
If you decide to upgrade both supply alternatives as well as Brogeson conversions .

70chall440

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to "burp" them especially when they are new. Jack the front end up so the front tires are off the ground. Fill the PS reservoir, Start the car and have someone move the wheels from lock to lock, check the level. drive the car.

retro70

Reaction score
could it be the pump or is it more likely the steering gear?

edit: thanks, I did "burp" the system the first time I had a problem as you suggested before I drove it two weeks after.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the pump provides pressure all the time the power steering box regulates the flow so more likely the box

AUSTA

Reaction score
Sounds like there is a blockage in the box not letting the pressurised fluid get to the internals & return
Could be 1 of the fibre vanes had chipped allowing fragments into the fluid .
Does the belt squeal when sitting if so it would indicate the pump is loaded up

retro70

Reaction score
The belt did not make any noise at all before this happened. After the new hose went on the steering felt like it was okay
and felt that way until I took it out the second time.

Is there a way to diagnose the gear box of any problems before I try and get another one?

AUSTA

Reaction score
You could remove the valve ontop of the steering box & clean it ,it has a valve inside.
When refitting it must be centred as if not when you start the engine the steering can spin with such force it can break bones normally i lightly tighten the 2 bolts then start the engine at a low idle lightly tap the valve until the steering centres there is a procedure somewhere.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would mark it before removing it & try to line it up as close as possible when you put it back on .

retro70

Reaction score
Well, the P/S is fixed. Unbelievable what was found in the inside of the reservoir of the P/S pump. From the return line inside the can...
there was placed a catch screen for debris with a magnet inside of the meshed pouch. This was placed in the hole of the return line connection.
With that installed, the hose from the steering gear would be forced off because of the built up back pressure that the pump made.
This acted just like a blockage inside the pump. Removing that meshed pouch let the pump level the pressure and all is good now.

Who knew.

Back