• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

need help on door vin tag

72challenger

Reaction score
have a 1972 challenger, I do not have the driver side door vin tag, in order to get new one made they say I have to have a pitcher of one with all the weights on it,
does anybody out there have a 1972 challenger 318 car that I can get a pic of. if u need more info on car I can get it. hope this is the right thread to use thanks for your help

72challenger

Reaction score
dealing with esc automotive concept, they said my car had the vin # with all the car weights on the tag.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Just happen to have a 1972 318 Challenger in the archives. If you need a better copy, just send me a PM.
Scott. 72ChallengerDoorSticker.jpg

72ChallengerDoorSticker.jpg

ECS

Reaction score
Sounds like the place doesn't know what they are doing.

Sure we do! That's why we just don't "wing it" and provide Customers with a VIN Decal that doesn't correctly represent their vehicle's weight specifications. Simply having the same drivetrain doesn't provide the correct data. That doesn't guarantee that they will have the same weight specifications. If a vehicle has an A/C system, that option will change the weight specifications. If it has a luggage rack, that option will change the weights. Any option on a vehicle will change the weight specifications and we have no way to correctly "guess" what a vehicle's options were unless the Customer provides their original VIN information as a reference.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Read the first post and you can see why I made comment I did. Your post gives the missing piece to the puzzle. I took it that they (you) needed to know what one looked like to make one.

ECS

Reaction score
Read the first post and you can see why I made comment I did. Your post gives the missing piece to the puzzle. I took it that they (you) needed to know what one looked like to make one.

We have every Chrysler VIN template setup from 1969 to present day. We never require the Customer to send us a picture of their VIN to see the format or layout. A copy serves as documentation (required by Chrysler) and it also provides valid vehicle information. Weights are specific to each car. Most people don't know that the weight specifications can ONLY be found on the VIN sticker. (This applies to 1972 models and later.) They cannot be found on the Broadcast Sheet, the Fender Tag or the Monroney Label. A car having the same power-train did not guarantee that the GVWR total (as well as Front & Rear weights) would have been the same.

Below are 3 Chrysler VIN decals from 1972. These are actual Chrysler VIN decals that we reproduced for different Customers. All of them represent the exact same model, year and have the same engines. Notice the differences in the weight specifications. I could have pulled 10 more random examples and they too may have exhibited different weight specifications. The combinations of weights are almost infinite depending on the option combinations that could have been ordered. In 1973 they started using MDH numbers on the VIN decal which makes this information even more unique to a particular vehicle.

JS23-1.jpg

JS23-2.jpg

JS23-3.jpg

Last edited:
Back