• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Needing help with a hood scoop clearance for a gen 3 hemi swap

purplehayes

Reaction score
Challenger Hood Measurements.jpg

I need some help with a measurement, I have swapped a gen 3 hemi into my 72 challenger and I wont be able to use the R/T hood (not enough height) I am in need of the clearance of a T/A hood from the bottom of the hood to the bottom of the T/A hood scoop. I've included a picture of how I measured the R/T hood. I took tape as a straight edge and taped it to the bottom of the hood and then measured up to the bottom of the scoop (its 4") , I actually need about 6" in clearance. I can get a low profile air filter and then shave about 3/4" off the Drag pack intake but that's still not enough clearance, I'm hoping the T/A hood will get me the clearance I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jack AKA Purple Hayes

tonysrt

Reaction score
Maybe a shaker hood would also open it up a bit. I can give you the opening specs on the shaker cause I'm putting one on a 71 Cuda. It's not on the car yet.

heminut

Reaction score
That's a really tall manifold. I suspect you're going to have to run some kind of aftermarket hood or at least graft on some kind of aftermarket hood scoop to get the clearance you need to run that manifold. That is more of a race manifold than a street manifold.

I would recommend you stop and think about this. Are you actually going to put this car on the track and race it? If not, I would seriously consider sourcing a shorter manifold.

purplehayes

Reaction score
Maybe a shaker hood would also open it up a bit. I can give you the opening specs on the shaker cause I'm putting one on a 71 Cuda. It's not on the car yet.
Tonysrt, that would be great if you could. I really appreciate it
Thanks
Jack

tonysrt

Reaction score
I'll give you the figures tomorrow when I can access the hood.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I'll give you the specs of a Cuda hood and I would think specs would be close to what a Challenger hood may have. From back of the hood to back opening is 13 1/2", to the front of the peak is 27" and from both sides from edge of hood to edge of opening is 15". The only difference is that the hood of the Challenger is longer than the Cuda, cuda has a piece in front of the hood and Challenger doesn't so specs from rear of the hood and side should put you in the ballpark. Shaker hood is about $900 and shaker kit is almost $3000 for shipping and foreign money change, cause it's coming from Canada. The width of the opening is 22". Hope this helps, but price tag may have you think twice. Any thing else let me know.

Back