• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New addition to the family!

Challengerguy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just acquired my dream car since a teenager and am super excited yet wondering what the heck did I just do? I haven't had a classic muscle car in about 18 years! She is a 73 Challenger RT Rally, 340, 4 speed, with a 70 Roadrunner 440 6 Pack, Mopar 4 speed, Dana 60 with 410's. She came from 300 ft asl to 5280 ft asl and needs some tuning. Looks like the carbs need attention as it's running really rough and rich with some leaking around the center carb. She has a MSD Pro Billet 8546 setup. I changed the oil yesterday and couldn't believe how dirty it was. Also ordered a new air filter at astronomical cost. The brakes also need attention, and I haven't pulled any wheels yet but have ordered a new master cylinder as the current one is leaking and was almost dry. Despite the shortcomings she is beautiful and will only get better. Glad to join the family!

First car wash.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Congrats , Beautiful Chall .
The 6 pack can be difficult to adjust be we are here to help !
Make sure you work on the brakes First , it is good to be able to stop one you get the 6 pack tuned !!

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!! Great looking car, I only wish you posted more pictures...especially under hood shots haha. When you're ready to start tuning the carbs, I suggest watching Harold Demes's videos on YouTube. He is fantastic.

Challengerguy

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!! Great looking car, I only wish you posted more pictures...especially under hood shots haha. When you're ready to start tuning the carbs, I suggest watching Harold Demes's videos on YouTube. He is fantastic.
Thanks, I will make it a point to watch! Here are a few of the ugly shots. It did come with the numbers matching drive train also. I am wondering if the cruddy looking rear end, driveshaft, and radiator are of any value keeping? Thinking just engine and 4 speed transmission. Any thoughts on that?

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Carbs.jpg
    Carbs.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 118
  • Carbs leaking.jpg
    Carbs leaking.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Master cylinder.jpg
    Master cylinder.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 123
  • Rear Drive Differential.jpg
    Rear Drive Differential.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 131

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The rad tanks have #s on them which can make them valuable to people looking for originals , new driveshafts can be $400 or more , the diffs are probably not overly common anymore either .
I have set up a lot of 6 pack systems over the decades as well .

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! I’d try to keep all of the original equipment from such a rare car to begin with.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Welcome! Someone took good care in making it what it is. You are off to a good start. there are expedience people here. Others have given there two cents on the Brakes and 6 pak,can be a bit fickle! Myself I would also check bulkhead connectors for good connections. I took notice to and you may have already.no washer on carb stud and no tie or hose bracket on heater hose. may be touching alt and rub thru.Just my 3rd cents. Welcome again an good luck. I like the grey. The few grey cars I had.the police look at it as it goes by. I looks like it's going slower then it is. Kind a like a Ghost.

Last edited:

70chall440

Reaction score
Welcome and nice car. My first Challenger was a 74 318/AT but became a 440 6 pack 4spd. I currently have a 70 RT 440 AC AT PS PB of which of course I put a 6 pack but then went to a EFI 6 pack. I always loved the Challenger the most out of all Mopars, maybe it was Vanishing Point that did it for me but the lines are fantastic.

IMG_0005lg.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_1021.JPG

moparleo

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I would do/have a complete inspection done starting with the brakes, suspension. Check the age of the tires, those look to be an old Goodyear model, old tires can be bad news on your car. Get a Factory Service Manual if you don't have one. Downloads are free. You say it has a 4 speed but your picture shows an a/t kickdown linkage.
I know that I have purchased a few cars over the years and really didn't notice things that were wrong/bad until the excitement wore off.
Contrary to what a lot of people will tell you here, I would reinstall the original 340 and trans and sell the engine that is in it now to finance putting things back the way they are.
E-body cars are very nose heavy and they drive/ride/handle better with a small block upfront.
As you have seen, parts for a sixpack setup are expensive and multiple carbs are difficult to tune and maintain.
Just a technicality but there was no such thing as an R/T after 1971. Just a sticker on your hood.
Numerous other things I noticed but it is a very nice looking car and I hope we can help you sort things out so you can enjoy it more.
I have attached a checklist of the basics to look for.

Attachments

• Project Car Checklist.pdf
    784.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Back