• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Guy / Not a Car Guy

Patastrophe

Reaction score
I'm probably nuts for doing this; but here goes.

image_2022-11-04_011716385.png

I'm Pat - and I'm from PA. I've owned my 1973 Dodge Challenger for 19 years this coming April. I bought it when I was 13 because I thought it was cool as hell - and my Pap's friend (who was terminally ill) needed the money. I worked at the family warehouse and cut lawns for $5/hr. I paid $5500 and "get it the **** out of my driveway already" in Spring 2004 dollars. I'm the second owner; and I've driven it about...3 times since I bought it (yes - you read that correctly) - due to insurance policies that would only let people who have 10 years+ of experience drive it on classic insurance / traveling away for college / etc. The car was originally sold by my Uncle "Nook" at Giornesto Motors in Saxton, PA in 1973 - I have the original build sheet, sales slip, window tag, and brochures from when the car was originally sold to the first owner., and what I believe to be the original Dodge shop manuals and such from the Dodge Dealership when it shuttered. It also has what's left of the dealership sticker on the trunk decklid and the build sheet from inside the rear seat.

I grew up in a family full of people who love Chevy's almost as much as the Lord Jesus but,
I'm not a car guy, and
I have no clue what I'm doing. Which is where this journey takes a sharp left turn

The car has sat mostly in storage / and occasionally started for the past ~2 decades. I'm signing up here because the motor leaks (in no particular order) Coolant, Oil, Transmission Fluid, and Gasoline. I'm trying to learn what I need to know in order to repair the problems so the car can at least be driven (finally). While replacing seals and parts lost to time - I would like to hop up the motor a bit to give it a little kick in the pants. The car is anemic; badly - as the stock 318 (I believe) made all of 150HP in this year. I'm willing to listen to anything reasonable; but I don't need a racecar motor built by "so and so's engine guy". Just enough that the car might be able to pass in a strong headwind.

The factory paint is checked beyond belief. A modest amount of rust (nothing terrible) - on the drivers side quarter. The car will need paint; one day - but for now I'd just like to drive the damned thing.

Picture today, in case ya'll think I'm full of ****. Yes, I still have the factory hood - I replaced it probably 12-14 months after I bought the car because I thought it was cool.

IMG_1316.jpg

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
You’re not nuts at all, you just want to have fun.

Nice looking Challenger by the way.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome to the site , you had good forsight to buy the car when you did & keep it safe & not sell it , we can help you get it reliable again !

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
You are not nuts. I started the same way. I bought my first 70 Charger R/T when I was 15 before I had a drivers license. I have learned alot along the way by doing everything myself and have owned at least 1 Charger ever since and still have my second 70 Charger R/T S.E. since school. 34 years now and still unrestored.

20170903_161436.jpg

70RTSE11 [640x480-2].jpg

Knock Out

Reaction score
318,340,360 all easy to get good performance out of without going crazy 318 is a very solid small block that produces good torque
FUEL LEAK FIRST(dont need it catching fire and burning you and your house down (beside your chevy relatives would never let you live it down)
pull the gas tank,(sitting is the worst thing for a tank)have it checked, get it clean, flush the fuel lines, new fuel filter
how many miles on it? Automatic ?
if everything internal is in good (run a compression check) working order usually an intake, a four barrel carb , and dual exhaust will make it have a little pop,
changing rearend gears is also an easy and inexpensive way to get it a little better performance and throttle response
Way back in the day(1970's) I liked the edelbrock LD 340 intake mainfold, with carter 625 carb, on my 360's I am sure these are impossible to get now but there is probably something better out there
there are some really good books that can help you understand the basics
HOW TO BUILD CHRYSLER HIGH PERFORMANCE CHRYSLER ENGINES BY FRANK ADKINS
HOW TO HOT ROD SMALL BLOCK MOPAR ENGINES BY LARRY SHEPPARD
Love the car
great color combo
Have fun you bought it right

Knock Out

Reaction score
Sorry
One more tip for what its worth
I never let my vinyl top see rain or wash it with soap and water with the rest of the car
I wipe it down with a damp cloth for dust and use F-11 on it after that (it looks perfect and new all the time)
water and vinyl tops are not typically a good combo water tends to get inside the trim pieces and start the rust process

Knock Out

Reaction score
You are not nuts. I started the same way. I bought my first 70 Charger R/T when I was 15 before I had a drivers license. I have learned alot along the way by doing everything myself and have owned at least 1 Charger ever since and still have my second 70 Charger R/T S.E. since school. 34 years now and still unrestored.

View attachment 99365

View attachment 99366
That is a beauty

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan!

Glad you kept your Challenger! You didn't go wrong on installing the performance hood.

Patastrophe

Reaction score
FUEL LEAK FIRST(dont need it catching fire and burning you and your house down (beside your chevy relatives would never let you live it down)
pull the gas tank,(sitting is the worst thing for a tank)have it checked, get it clean, flush the fuel lines, new fuel filter

Fuel is leaking from the mechanical sending unit at the block. The unit is shaped like a sundae cup and a lid, almost - and the fuel just bubbles between the two sections. I can post a video - but when the engine is running, the amount of fuel lost is concerning to say the least. Enough to make the crossmember underneath wet and cause the entire garage to stink in a few minutes.

Approximately 64,000 miles, 318 Auto / Slapstick

moparleo

Reaction score
:welcome: aboard. Very nice car and fantastic documentation.
First off is your budget, mechanical expertise, help availability, tools, area to store car/parts for a period of time.
Start a notebook. Make a list of everything that must be fixed. Make a list of what you would like to upgrade. Make a plan. Try to concentrate on one area at a time. Too easy to go in different directions at once and get frustrated.
Anything rubber is going to be high on the list. Tires, fuel lines, brake lines, all hoses, belts etc...
Do not disassemble car. Keep it complete and just rebuild one system at a time. This will prevent you from having a bunch of parts to keep separete and forget where they went.

Lots of pictures, lots of baggies/tags, sharpies, plastic totes, work bench, sturdy shelves,
Educate yourself as much as possible on your car and its mechanicals, more books.
A lot to absorb, but go at your own pace and try to keep things simple. try to go hotrod right out of the gate is seldom a good idea.

Attachments

• Project Car Checklist (3).pdf
    784.8 KB · Views: 98

LIMEGREENAAR

Reaction score
Nice looking buggy. I bought my AAR when I was16 (my Mom co-signed) that I still have. I had no idea what to do but learned it all over time. You'll find a way... Good luck

Knock Out

Reaction score
:welcome: aboard. Very nice car and fantastic documentation.
First off is your budget, mechanical expertise, help availability, tools, area to store car/parts for a period of time.
Start a notebook. Make a list of everything that must be fixed. Make a list of what you would like to upgrade. Make a plan. Try to concentrate on one area at a time. Too easy to go in different directions at once and get frustrated.
Anything rubber is going to be high on the list. Tires, fuel lines, brake lines, all hoses, belts etc...
Do not disassemble car. Keep it complete and just rebuild one system at a time. This will prevent you from having a bunch of parts to keep separete and forget where they went.

Lots of pictures, lots of baggies/tags, sharpies, plastic totes, work bench, sturdy shelves,
Educate yourself as much as possible on your car and its mechanicals, more books.
A lot to absorb, but go at your own pace and try to keep things simple. try to go hotrod right out of the gate is seldom a good idea.
Great advice

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! Nice Pair, these guys here can help you along the way. Yea, done load the repair manual and get that fuel pump replaced asap. 👍🏻

Last edited:

Duda

Reaction score
I'm probably nuts for doing this; but here goes.

View attachment 99361
I'm Pat - and I'm from PA. I've owned my 1973 Dodge Challenger for 19 years this coming April. I bought it when I was 13 because I thought it was cool as hell - and my Pap's friend (who was terminally ill) needed the money. I worked at the family warehouse and cut lawns for $5/hr. I paid $5500 and "get it the **** out of my driveway already" in Spring 2004 dollars. I'm the second owner; and I've driven it about...3 times since I bought it (yes - you read that correctly) - due to insurance policies that would only let people who have 10 years+ of experience drive it on classic insurance / traveling away for college / etc. The car was originally sold by my Uncle "Nook" at Giornesto Motors in Saxton, PA in 1973 - I have the original build sheet, sales slip, window tag, and brochures from when the car was originally sold to the first owner., and what I believe to be the original Dodge shop manuals and such from the Dodge Dealership when it shuttered. It also has what's left of the dealership sticker on the trunk decklid and the build sheet from inside the rear seat.

I grew up in a family full of people who love Chevy's almost as much as the Lord Jesus but,
I'm not a car guy, and
I have no clue what I'm doing. Which is where this journey takes a sharp left turn

The car has sat mostly in storage / and occasionally started for the past ~2 decades. I'm signing up here because the motor leaks (in no particular order) Coolant, Oil, Transmission Fluid, and Gasoline. I'm trying to learn what I need to know in order to repair the problems so the car can at least be driven (finally). While replacing seals and parts lost to time - I would like to hop up the motor a bit to give it a little kick in the pants. The car is anemic; badly - as the stock 318 (I believe) made all of 150HP in this year. I'm willing to listen to anything reasonable; but I don't need a racecar motor built by "so and so's engine guy". Just enough that the car might be able to pass in a strong headwind.

The factory paint is checked beyond belief. A modest amount of rust (nothing terrible) - on the drivers side quarter. The car will need paint; one day - but for now I'd just like to drive the damned thing.

Picture today, in case ya'll think I'm full of ****. Yes, I still have the factory hood - I replaced it probably 12-14 months after I bought the car because I thought it was cool.

View attachment 99362
Welcome from another Pa guy. Nice car and congratulations with it. These sites are the best for knowledge.
Are you from Saxton area, my wife is from Raystown Lake.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Yes - whole family is.
Small world eh! Worked on the Trough Creek bridge. back in I think 95.DCNR DEP EPA FISH AND GAME where all over us all the time! Worked with BIG DAN OBrian.Ask my business agent How will I know him. He said he looks like Sasquatch. S.O.B If he wasn't and caring a 30 pak of what he called barley water.There were some hot days.
The world gets smaller worked with a Jason M that had a 60's mustang.And his father Greg from Saxton Sunrise st or something like that. In 07 I worked with him I think he was talking about your car. I think Jason was was part of the fire dept.
But any how Welcome an enjoy and great lineage.
Trough Creek ds.jpg

Trough Creek w.jpg

Trough Creek ds 2.png
welcome to febo - Copy.jpeg

You don't have to have the best of every thing.make the best of what you got!

Last edited:
Back