• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New member from Washington state

Jeremy B

Reaction score
Hi all, just purchased a 1970 Challenger with a 383, 904 transmission and the smaller rear-end. This is my first E body and I’m tickled to finally own one. I’m new to the hobby but the kids are in college now so I have some time to learn how to work on and hopefully make it better.

My first Mopar I acquired back in high school was a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport with a 4 speed and a 340 engine. Loved that car but only hung on to it for a few years. I heard years later that the guy who bought it from me gernaded the transmission and left it on the side of the road but I was never able to find it.

My plan with the Challenger is to swap the engine out this winter with a ‘68 340 that I recently built with a buddy of mine that had plans to go in a 1971 Duster. Also planning to put in an 8 3/4 and a 518 tranny (727 w/ overdrive) to finish the drivetrain. Beyond that who knows.

Happy to get a chance to learn from the group here...

CAAF3917-AA4A-4686-A4C2-1E2E42E4DF18.jpeg

CA9674D4-C046-4353-9F0B-67FF2B9333EB.jpeg

20F85DBA-D6D6-4894-903E-F30305206D7F.jpeg

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Jeremy from mid Mich. Good choice on going with the 340. Keep us posted on your progress. There is a lot of Mopar experience here to help you out along the way.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from New Jersey
Nice color combo on your Challenger
Looks good already.
Is it an original 383 car?
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

Jeremy B

Reaction score
Thanks Guys!
I've been following your convertible build Phil, definitely looks like a labor of love and I'm enjoying the level of detail, very impressive!

According to the vin and broadcast sheet, it was originally a 318 car with Top Banana Yellow paint. But I really like the Sublime Green and White Vinyl Top color combo as well. It was a V1W car with vinyl buckets and center console from the factory so that's all correct. I figured since it wasn't highly optioned it was a good candidate to do what I want with it, but that's always a hard decision...

340challconvert

Reaction score
Jeremy
Love the 340 powered ebody's
They give a great balance between power and handling.
Your's will be a really fun car when you are done.
Best of luck with your build and thanks for your comments!

Dino2 (1).gif

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from British Columbia your friendly neighbour to the north, always nice to have more E body guys in the great pacific north west!
I agree with paharamia small block E bodies have great handling and are tons of fun to drive

Eric Griffith

Reaction score
Hi all, just purchased a 1970 Challenger with a 383, 904 transmission and the smaller rear-end. This is my first E body and I’m tickled to finally own one. I’m new to the hobby but the kids are in college now so I have some time to learn how to work on and hopefully make it better.

My first Mopar I acquired back in high school was a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport with a 4 speed and a 340 engine. Loved that car but only hung on to it for a few years. I heard years later that the guy who bought it from me gernaded the transmission and left it on the side of the road but I was never able to find it.

My plan with the Challenger is to swap the engine out this winter with a ‘68 340 that I recently built with a buddy of mine that had plans to go in a 1971 Duster. Also planning to put in an 8 3/4 and a 518 tranny (727 w/ overdrive) to finish the drivetrain. Beyond that who knows.

Happy to get a chance to learn from the group here...

View attachment 52390

View attachment 52391

View attachment 52392
Welcome to the Group!
That is a Super nice Car!
I still have a Lot of work to do on My 1970 Barracuda,and 30 years ago,I did the Trans and Diff swap for the 727 and 8 3/4"
I am Modifying my 318 for more Hp...But would like to find that same 340 you are using.
Already have the 68 intake,annd a new Edelbrock 4105 carb for it.
Best of luck with your Project!

DrEamer

Reaction score
Another welcome from the Pacific Northwest here in Oregon.

Jeremy B

Reaction score
May seem like a silly question, but I'm finishing up the install of the 340/518 trans and wondering if anyone has any good pictures of the top end of a 340 with an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake for reference? I'm having a little trouble figuring out what goes where on this intake and have no prior experience with it... Thanks in advance!

Back