• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Member here

fj6aar

Reaction score
Hi all, I decided to finally join after reading stuff here for a while. My car is a 1971 'Cuda convertible clone that was converted from a hard top using all original E Body convertible pieces from a convertible that was in a fire. The car is, and always will be, titled as a 1970 Barracuda hard top, which is how it started life. I am currently in the stage of getting it ready for paint. Here is a photo of how it started life and another of how it looks today with all the unique convertible pieces welded in. It is on hold for now as I just bought a house with a nice garage and am getting the garage up to snuff so I can continue working on it. It will be powered by an original 1969 426 Hemi engine and a 4 speed. I'm looking to go B5 blue with a black top and black billboard and a white interior. It will have blue painted steelies and polyglas tires - seen in the below photo. (G60's up front and L60's out back - love that stance). Hope to chat with all of you soon. Rob

IMG_6985.PNG

IMG_4548.JPG

IMG_6909.JPG

Last edited:

sir_veza

Reaction score
Hi Rob, Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Thanks for sharing the photo's and good luck with the project. What was the original motor?

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Rob from Michigan and glad you joined up!
That is a great project which you certainly don't see every day :thumbsup:

fasjac

Reaction score
Hi Rob, welcome to the site from Arkansas! I look forward to progress. Glad you’re here. Going to be a cool vert! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

fj6aar

Reaction score
Thanks all for the nice welcome. I have lost sleep over deciding on the black or white top. I like both too, but it will be black most likely, but who knows. The car started life as a 318 car. When I got it the original engine and trans were gone and it had replacements in there. I donated both the engine and trans to the local high school tech shop for the kids to learn on.

Last edited:

fj6aar

Reaction score
I was torn between these two looks, but like the black billboards a little more - but it will probably come down to a last minute decision when I'm actually ready to buy them. I don't know if a member here owns either one of these cars - if so please let me know and I will delete them.

image.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.06.53 PM.png

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
JMO, white interior- white billboards & top
Black interior- black billboards & top

moparleo

Reaction score
:welcome: aboard. Now is the time to install a USCT Stage 2 chassis stiffening kit. Something a convertible can greatly benefit from.
The billboards colors on the 2 'Cuda s was based on interior/top color.

fj6aar

Reaction score
:welcome: aboard. Now is the time to install a USCT Stage 2 chassis stiffening kit. Something a convertible can greatly benefit from.
The billboards colors on the 2 'Cuda s was based on interior/top color.
I was not aware of this. So a black interior with black top got a black billboard and visa versa for the white? What if a customer wanted a black interior and black top but wanted white billboards, would they have built it that way?

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Howdy and welcome from Colorado!

Curious what the original fender tag readout was on the car?

Looks awesome now! Would love to see some detailed pictures of the conversion.

fj6aar

Reaction score
Howdy and welcome from Colorado!

Curious what the original fender tag readout was on the car?

Looks awesome now! Would love to see some detailed pictures of the conversion.
The fender tag has since been repaired with JB Weld to fill in the rust holes. This is the original build sheet - amazing it survived. The fender tag will be back on the car restored and painted.

Attachments

• fender tag vin blocked out.jpg
    fender tag vin blocked out.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Buildsheet vin blocked.jpg
    Buildsheet vin blocked.jpg
    854.9 KB · Views: 170

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Wow! Red on Red on RED !! That is an awesome original car just by itself.
Rally cluster, trunk lamp, fender turn signals, buckets, console. That thing is loaded for a BH!

I'll have to look through that build sheet! Thanks for posting it up! That's one slick car!

fj6aar

Reaction score
This is my favorite one. I should state that the car at that time was on a solid 8" think cement floor that was perfectly level. We built a wooden jig based off the engineering drawing and had the car fastened to the eight points it was fastened as it went down the assembly line. Everything was the correct height and all measurements - straight and diagonal were spot on and checked regularly as we built the car.

Attachments

• IMG_5234.JPG
    IMG_5234.JPG
    741.3 KB · Views: 184
Back